Betta Fish Forum banner

stupid heater question

414 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bananafish 
#1 ·
Just upgraded Wraith to a 25-watt Hydor Theo submersible heater, from one of those flat plastic credit card-sized doohickeys. He's in a filtered 3-gallon glass tank with a lid.

His tank started at 74 degrees this morning (which is why I upgraded heaters... too cold, I know). I set the control at 81, but in the last 6 hours his water temperature has only risen to 76. I'm worried that if I set it higher, I might inadvertently cook the guy... But five degrees between setting and actual seems like a big discrepancy. The thermometer is a glass one hanging in the opposite corner of the tank.

Any experience with this?

#3 ·
Heaters are programmed to raise the temp rather slowly. All the heaters I've ever owned have said to wait about 24 hours between touching the thermostat (ie it will take about 24 hours to reach the desired temp). 76F is a much better temp, and he will be fine there for a few hours. I'd give your heater some more time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.