Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #1 
nicole213

Major scale loss..please help!

My fish went through a pretty bad bout of fin rot a month ago and his fins just never grew back entirely. He lost half of his bottom fin to fin rot, it grew back almost completely, then it fell off again. The fin appeared to be growing back once again but the growth suddenly stopped and he started losing his scales right where this fin rot happened. At least, I think he's losing his scales. There are two identical white/somewhat patches on either side of him and they do not look like scales. The patches are getting bigger...

Housing
What size is your tank? 2,5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? About 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Buffet pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, two pellets in the morning and 3-4 at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Two growing white patches on either side of his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's eating and jumping for his food. However, he does seem a bit more stressed out and darts around, coming to sit on the bottom quite a bit more often than before
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A week/week and a half ago
Have you started treating your fish? I tried putting him on Melafix just today. He seems even more inactive than before.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him four months ago.
nicole213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #2 
nicole213

Bump
Old 03-02-2012, 12:35 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Can you get a picture? And are the patches kind fuzzy or woolly? It sounds more like fungus or the dreaded C.

If you heater is adjustable, lower it to about 76-75. Both conditions grow faster in higher temps. Also, we recommend against any of the 'fix medications as they contain tea tree oil. In other fish it does fight finrot, but it has the potential to damage the bettas labyrinth organ. That is what allows them to breath air from the surface.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #4 
nicole213

Thanks for your help, here's the best picture I could get. As far as I can see, it doesn't look fuzzy at all. However yesterday the skin was bumping out a bit and it kind of did look a bit cottony and white, but now that has cleared up completely on both sides. My fish's other side looks like a mirror image of this.

The bubbles are from a full tank clean that I just did because a thermometer broke in the tank...luckily I got him out in time.
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 
Silverfang

That is odd... doesn't look like fungus or the evil C. IT almost looks like a chemical burn. But I don't know what to say. We had another member who's betta, well, for lack of a better term for it, turned into a bleached blonde. (See What's happening to Freddy?). I'll point my friend here later for her to take a look
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 
nicole213

Poor fish...glad it doesn't look like anything too terrible though. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #7 
cjayBetta

Id put him on an AQ salt treatment for 10 days with daily water changes... AQ salt is like a cure all... It stimulates healing so it will deff help!
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #8 
Sakura8

Interesting. He still has all his scales, that's good. You can see their outlines in the patches of white. I agree with Silverfang, it doesn't look like the dreaded C, columnaris. If it was a chemical burn . . . but do you have any idea what could have burned him? He had the white patches BEFORE the Melafix, right? If so, we can rule out the Melafix burning him. It could be a color change, like Pitluvs' Freddy, but because your boy is so clamped, I'm not sure this is the same case.

For now, 2 tsps of AQ salt per gallon (put him in a hospital tank if you have live plants). When you do water changes, make sure you put back the same amount of salt that you took out. So if you change 50%, replace 50% of the salt. Keep him in this mix for at least a week, no more than 14 days.

If at any time his behavior changes and he starts to act lethargic or he stops eating, let us know as it could be a sign of something more serious than just a color change.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #9 
nicole213

Okay, will do! Thanks for the recommendation. Now that you mention it, he does seem to be acting a bit lethargic (started yesterday).. Instead of darting around he's sort of just floating at the top/bottom. He's still eating well though.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #10 
nicole213

Bad news, my fish has started to eat the bubbles off the side of his tank and his hugely bloated. I bought some aquarium salt and dosed him with 1 tablespoon for 2.5 gallons (what the instructions say). I noticed that Sakura recommended 2 tsp/gallon, that's a huge difference. Should I be upping the dose? He's eaten so many bubbles that he rests on his side at the top of his tank because he's floating too much. Please let me know asap, when I came in he was motionless on his side for ten minutes but then he popped back alive.

Tags
fin loss, scale loss