Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #1 
callistra

100% sure equilibrium is safe?

I have always used RO water from the pet store with my bettas. It is KH buffered and a pinch of aquarium salt per gallon to restore mineral loss. My bettas have always done fine with this. Well after doing some research I decided maybe they'd be healther long term with some added minerals. I read about Kent RO Right and Seachem Equilibrium. I decided on Equilibriupm.

The can says 1 tablespoon for 20g.. so that's 1.5 teaspoon for a 10 g and 3/4tsp for my 5g. However I have read this ODs on K and people have problems with unstable ph on full dose so I went even further cut this down in thirds and added only a level 1/4 tsp.

Well first thing I noticed is it didn't fully dissolve even after 24 hours and left amazing amounts of stuff all over the tank. I siphoned it all out as best as I could with a turkey baster and replaced the water I took out. My water is now 4 degrees gh which is still very soft.

I am in the process of acclimating my betta very slowly by floating in a cup and adding a few tablespoons every 10 minutes. Well.. when ever I do this he acts like I'm killing him.. completely freaks out and is breathing very heavy..

That said he freaked cupped in normal water initially but adding water makes it even worse.. I'm afraid to release him into this..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #2 
Myates

Why it's safer and a lot healthier to just use tap water with conditioner.. no reason to try to mess with all those chemicals and add in things that are there naturally. Each time you change the water you run the risk of making the chemistry so different that it can cause os. shock.

I don't know what to tell you though.. doesn't sound as if he is agreeing with the water chemistry at all. Those chemicals are better suited for fish that have very specific needs.. bettas don't need all of that. And the water you buy is just drinking water, companies wanting to get money out of people who think it's better for the fish.

I would honestly take out all the water from his tank with that stuff in it, and use tap water with just water conditioner and adjust him to that.. at least for now in case the chemicals are harming him what you placed in.
They may be "just minerals" but it's chemicals.. and fish don't do well with chemicals since their bodies absorbs them constantly..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I had heard good things about equilibrium, at least if you have water with low Gh/Kh readings. That being said, bettas prefer softer water, so uh, no sure about using it. I've been debating using it myself, I have inverts and the water chemistry isn't the best for them.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 
callistra

My tap water cannot house bettas because it can reach upwards of 9 (I've heard more recently up to 11 but never tested quite that high myself) and fluctuates a lot. I have to use buffered ro water or have no bettas. Not looking for a debate on my water usage.. just equilibrium :) I know OFL says it's necessary for RO and I know some mineralization is necessary for ro. He's been acclimated from a gh of 0-1 to a gh of 3-4 over an hour to an hour and a half. He's in the tank very active but also still very pale.. went pale originally when I cupped him in his old water so I don't know what's left of that and what is the water parameter change.

Last edited by callistra; 03-05-2012 at 09:18 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I've never actually used it, so I don't know what to suggest. IT was Byron who suggested I use it, till he realized it was for bettas, and they like softer water. You might try asking him, he does use equilibrium.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote