Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #1 
lilyfish

Exclamation Sick Female Symptoms Don't match

My female betta was fine for her first two months of being home. She has one symptom from about three different illnesses. I rescued her from my workplace along with a male who is now recovering from fin rot. My workplace is not a petstore, they just think they can do it all and the betta fish sit on a shelf for a week then... when they are sickly and weak... ya. All the same I need help diagnosing her because I'm not sure you can really take a fish to the vet.

She stays at the bottom mostly or lays in the fake plant. Her fins have always been tiny but she is bloated now and she isn't always excited about eat but I would say that would be because she has to use all her energy to getto the top for one bite then sink and do it again. I've tried to lower her food intake in case I over fed and she is a little less weak now that she has a small bottom feeder... He actually cleaned off her fins the other day. Her male co-survivor is in another tank in another room since my step sister elected him to be hers. He has a placoe sucker fish in with him, they don't fight but nothing is wrong with the male aside from his heAling wounds.

Does she want fellow betta company? Like putting his tank next to hers. I don't want to buy another female because she is weak and the other female could be agressive. She has been this way for five months. I've used drops that specifically make the water safe for bettas so it isnt the water. I'm getting a thermometer the temp could be a part too I'm sure. She went from vibrant red white and deep blue to brown and pale. :(

If anyone has any clues or ideas I would be glad to et some info.
Her name is lily and his is baluu.
lilyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

If you don't have a heater, I would definitely start there.
Temperature plays a crucial role in the health of a betta. Too cold water will lower their immune system and cause all sorts of problems.
If you have them at room temperature, there's not even need to check the water with a thermometer, it is too cold.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote