Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #1 
Zappity

What do you during..

I just wanted to know what you would do during any of these emergencies with your fish.

Blizzard

Tornado/Severe Thunderstorm

Hurricane

Earthquake

Fire

Flood/Tsunami

Volcano (I'm bored, okay?)

We have a really bad storm coming right now as I type this, and I need/want to know what to do if there IS a tornado. I already have both of my bettas cupped just in case.

Thank you :)

(edit) I just got 2 ziploc bags and filled them with hot water, then wrapped them in a towel. Isn't this what you're supposed to do when you take them somewhere or something?

Last edited by Zappity; 03-02-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #2 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappity View Post
I just wanted to know what you would do during any of these emergencies with your fish.

Blizzard
Make sure YOU have supplies and warmth in case of power failure. For the fish, make sure you have extra water- I would say in gallon water jugs.. that way if power is out for a while, or your pipes are frozen you still have access to water for yourself and your fish.
Extra towels to wrap around the tanks.
I would keep them in their home tanks for as long as possible.. it will get colder slower in larger water then in the cups. Wrap towels around the tanks to keep the warmth in longer.

Tornado/Severe Thunderstorm
Same scenario- make sure you are taken care of first.
Keep them in the home tank, have extra water on hand in case of power outage. If a tornado hits your house, them being in a cup won't be any difference than them being in their tanks. If you have a cellar/basement then you can put them in their cups or small emergency tanks in the basement when the storm hits.. if a tornado is on it's way to your house you will have literally seconds to get to safety on your own.. it's when people try to save an item or a pet do they get caught in the house. So place your fish in kritter keepers or some small tanks set up in there before the storm gets bad.
If it's just a storm, no tornado, keep them in their home tank- once again, the heat will last longer.
I'm in the midwest and I believe the storm that went through earlier that I got the edge of is the one you are talking about. Not fun..

Hurricane
You should make an evacuation plan ahead of time.. normally you get a few days at least worth of warning. Just bundle them up like on a trip and take them.. bring a few kritter keepers to house them in for long periods. Food, medications, conditioner, their heaters, and extra water of at least a gallon are a must to bring with you.

Earthquake
Happens too quickly, no warning.

Fire
You run out of the house and get a safe distance away.
Don't forget, stop drop and roll!
There is nothing you can do to save them without putting your life in danger.. have to remember 99% of the time it isn't the fire that kills people in the homes.. it's the smoke. And a good chunk of that is people running back in to get items/pets.

Flood/Tsunami
Not a whole lot of instant floods.. unless a dam breaks and you are right there. Tsunami, if you watch the news regularly you tend to know when one will hit hours beforehand. Use the same sort of evacuation plan you would use for a hurricane- just have to be quicker and bring less.

Volcano (I'm bored, okay?)
Cover the tanks up with a thick towel and you get yourself to safety.. the towel will reduce the amount of ashes that may be in the air in your home..

We have a really bad storm coming right now as I type this, and I need/want to know what to do if there IS a tornado. I already have both of my bettas cupped just in case.

Thank you :)

(edit) I just got 2 ziploc bags and filled them with hot water, then wrapped them in a towel. Isn't this what you're supposed to do when you take them somewhere or something?
Make sure it isn't too hot- those cups can get too hot/cold very quickly and easily.
It's always important to have a plan when it comes to disasters.. it does happen, and can happen to any one, any where at any time. We want to believe we live in a bubble where nothing bad happens.. but Joplin MO isn't all that far from me. It can and does hit close to home.

You can't always save your animals, and fish tend to be the last pet people will try to save in emergencies. But, if you are aware of an impending disaster you can prepare to take them.
Keep on hand a few spare kritter keepers- either small to large in size. Smalls will be fine in emergencies and takes up less space. Keep as many of them as you have bettas. If you have more bettas then you can safely save in time- then know which ones you are wanting to take, and get that number of keepers.

You can also create an "emergency stash".. which includes things you would use when it's not a natural disaster. In it I would include:

Extra bottle of conditioner- to avoid this going bad, when you use up the bottle you are currently using, grab the one from the emergency stash and make sure to replace it when you next get the chance.
Extra pellet food- same deal with the conditioner, swap out to avoid it going stale.
Medications- in which I would include AQ salt, Epsom Salt, General Cure, and Maracyn I & II. All of those can treat just about every illness you can think of from Velvet, to dropsy, fin rot, bacterial infections, popeye.. on and on.
A net and a few extra cups that they come in with lids- to help with water changes when not at home.

Most important is your safety, but it's possible to be prepared just in case.
Not only for disasters will having a plan and a "stash" come in handy.. but if one of your fish gets sick, or a friend's fish gets sick.. you will have all that you need immediately right there. And most likely, all you will need to treat most everything on hand in case the store is closed if you come home to a sick fish.

Always good to have spare tanks in case one breaks or leaks.. why I go with kritter keepers, they are cheap enough that it won't break your budget if you get a few as spares. Also good to have an extra small heater in case you need to QT a sick fish in a smaller tank without disrupting the home tank.

Last edited by Myates; 03-02-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #3 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
It's always important to have a plan when it comes to disasters.. it does happen, and can happen to any one, any where at any time. We want to believe we live in a bubble where nothing bad happens.. but Joplin MO isn't all that far from me. It can and does hit close to home.

You can't always save your animals, and fish tend to be the last pet people will try to save in emergencies. But, if you are aware of an impending disaster you can prepare to take them.
Keep on hand a few spare kritter keepers- either small to large in size. Smalls will be fine in emergencies and takes up less space. Keep as many of them as you have bettas. If you have more bettas then you can safely save in time- then know which ones you are wanting to take, and get that number of keepers.

You can also create an "emergency stash".. which includes things you would use when it's not a natural disaster. In it I would include:

Extra bottle of conditioner- to avoid this going bad, when you use up the bottle you are currently using, grab the one from the emergency stash and make sure to replace it when you next get the chance.
Extra pellet food- same deal with the conditioner, swap out to avoid it going stale.
Medications- in which I would include AQ salt, Epsom Salt, General Cure, and Maracyn I & II. All of those can treat just about every illness you can think of from Velvet, to dropsy, fin rot, bacterial infections, popeye.. on and on.
A net and a few extra cups that they come in with lids- to help with water changes when not at home.

Most important is your safety, but it's possible to be prepared just in case.
Not only for disasters will having a plan and a "stash" come in handy.. but if one of your fish gets sick, or a friend's fish gets sick.. you will have all that you need immediately right there. And most likely, all you will need to treat most everything on hand in case the store is closed if you come home to a sick fish.

Always good to have spare tanks in case one breaks or leaks.. why I go with kritter keepers, they are cheap enough that it won't break your budget if you get a few as spares. Also good to have an extra small heater in case you need to QT a sick fish in a smaller tank without disrupting the home tank.
You're awesome. Thank you SO much!! :D That info should really be a sticky.
Yep, that's the storm :P Now it's gone and the sun is shining. Stupid spastic weatherman freaking me out...xD
Old 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #4 
Myates

lol I hate it when they get all excited.. well, they are weathermen.. only excitement they get is when a weather related disaster strikes. It's sunny here, but very very windy.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #5 
lexylex0526

We have a huge storm to heading my way tonight!! Supposed to be a possible tornado and definitley t-storms!

Blizzard- When I know there will be cold weather like a blizard coming my way I fill up jugs of water for my fish just in case they need it (power might shut down) and turn on my heater lol. I also constantly check my fish's water temps. just in case they are getting to cold or just in case the heater breaks or something.

Tornado/Severe Thunderstorm- Fill up water juggs for the fish and heat them then wrap a towel around them to keep the heat in (incase of power outage) If I know there will be a tornado or bad strom I bring them down in their tanks to the basement and wait for the storm to pass. If I should need to go to a safe house or something I would probably have to leave them in the basement with warm water in the tanks and hope for the best.

Hurricane- Me being in the midwest that would probably not happen but if it did I would put my three bettas in there travel tanks and probably leave and drive to a safe place.

Earthquake- since you get no warning for an earthquake you wouldn't have any time to do anything. But once its over you have a little bit time to get help before aftershocks. You could go to your tanks and see if they have fallen over or anything. If they have and your fish are savable then I would put them in cups then into the safety tanks and get to shelter asap.

Fire- I would evacuate immediately, all though I would feel bad about leaving my bettas behind but you need to get yourself to safety before anything. You cannot go back in the burning house it isn't the fire that kills people it is the smoke.

Flood/Tsunami- I would do the same thing for hurricane. "Me being in the midwest that would probably not happen but if it did I would put my three bettas in there travel tanks and probably leave and drive to a safe place."

Volcano (I'm bored, okay?)- no volcanoes near me AT ALL haha but if this should happend for some strange strange reason I would cover the tanks with thick towels and evacuate.
lexylex0526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Myates, you should write that up as a thread and get the mods to make it a sticky. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #7 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
lol I hate it when they get all excited.. well, they are weathermen.. only excitement they get is when a weather related disaster strikes. It's sunny here, but very very windy.
lol I know! My weatherman is SUCH a spaz! He panics over flurries!
It was sunny after the storm, but now it's dark out :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexylex0526 View Post
We have a huge storm to heading my way tonight!! Supposed to be a possible tornado and definitley t-storms!

Blizzard- When I know there will be cold weather like a blizard coming my way I fill up jugs of water for my fish just in case they need it (power might shut down) and turn on my heater lol. I also constantly check my fish's water temps. just in case they are getting to cold or just in case the heater breaks or something.

Tornado/Severe Thunderstorm- Fill up water juggs for the fish and heat them then wrap a towel around them to keep the heat in (incase of power outage) If I know there will be a tornado or bad strom I bring them down in their tanks to the basement and wait for the storm to pass. If I should need to go to a safe house or something I would probably have to leave them in the basement with warm water in the tanks and hope for the best.

Hurricane- Me being in the midwest that would probably not happen but if it did I would put my three bettas in there travel tanks and probably leave and drive to a safe place.

Earthquake- since you get no warning for an earthquake you wouldn't have any time to do anything. But once its over you have a little bit time to get help before aftershocks. You could go to your tanks and see if they have fallen over or anything. If they have and your fish are savable then I would put them in cups then into the safety tanks and get to shelter asap.

Fire- I would evacuate immediately, all though I would feel bad about leaving my bettas behind but you need to get yourself to safety before anything. You cannot go back in the burning house it isn't the fire that kills people it is the smoke.

Flood/Tsunami- I would do the same thing for hurricane. "Me being in the midwest that would probably not happen but if it did I would put my three bettas in there travel tanks and probably leave and drive to a safe place."

Volcano (I'm bored, okay?)- no volcanoes near me AT ALL haha but if this should happend for some strange strange reason I would cover the tanks with thick towels and evacuate.
Thank you! :) haha, yeah, I don't have any volcanoes either xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Myates, you should write that up as a thread and get the mods to make it a sticky. :)
I agree 100%!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #8 
Myates

Quote:
I just might :) Thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #9 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
I totally agree.

That is great, thoughtful, level-headed advice, Myates,

Thank you.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #10 
littlemermaid

I agree this should definately be a sticky! Thanks to reading this site after a heavy snow last week I promptly wrapped my sorority tank up in a heavy blanket and even with household temps in the low 50's for four days 9 out 10 of them survived (RIP Namor ). I only wish I had gotten more water ready ahead of time, something I will remedy before another outage! I am also thinking of using kritter keepers or something so next time I can bring them closer to the fireplace (but not to close!!) Poor things were clear across the house and I was to afraid and unprepared to move them. Luckily they suffered nothing more than some torn fins which are healing nicely and they are back to being spoiled
littlemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote