Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #1 
grim

Male or female?

Hello everybody

I went into my trusty LFS looking to buy some bloodworms for Ghoul and Lich, when, all of a sudden, *le wild Betta apears :)

Half hour later I was carying home a new 3g tank+gravel+heater+thermometer+conditioner + bag 'o Betta.

Truth be told, I didn't care if it's a he or a she at the moment, because I simply *loved* its colors. Goes smoothly from an all black head to a lovely blue body, I simply *love* it. Not only that, but it was so friendly, it kept staring at me while patrolling the frontal side of the tank...I just had to take it home.

But now, I begin wondering and require your help. I'm sort of new to Bettas, all I had before Ghoul (VT) was another VT, so I can't really tell others apart. I liked this one because it looks a bit like one of those PK everyone seems to love. Not that I would get one just because they're popular, just saying...

I like the new member of my home a lot, and would love to know if it's a he or a she. I'll make no difference in raising either one of them :)

Sorry about the picture quality, but that's as much as I can get out of my phone. That and I had a hard time making the little one stay still :)

P.S. -> Just remembered this and though it might be important to note: since it was stressed with the move and everything, horizontal lines appeared on it's body. I'm not sure if that's an all female thing or not.
Attached Images

Last edited by grim; 03-02-2012 at 04:07 PM.
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 
bettasusa

Im going to go with girl for the moment. lol. Does there appear to be a white dot underneath her belly?
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #3 
grim

Oh right, the white dot. I can't believe I forgot about that.
It's definitely visible when looking from behind, so most likely it's a female.
So, no beautiful long fins for me on this one, but she's still really pretty :)
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 
kfryman

I agree with girl at the moment, just saying an eggspot is not a 100% way to tell. Two of my 3 males that I have/had have had eggspots.

You seem to be feeding a bit too much bloodworms btw.

See the attached image, she is a he lol.
Attached Images

kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #5 
grim

Yes, I know there were too much worms, sorry about that. I usually just drop 2-3 in there, not sure why I dropped so many now. Guess I felt like giving him/her a treat for the horror that he/she had to endure. But, I know overfeeding is also a bad thing, so I'll make sure it won't happen again, that's a promise :)
So she could still be a male. Hm, I'd love to say time will tell but this could take a while :D

The he that you posted looks a lot like what I got if you substitute red for black, only mine has shorter fins for now (so shorter end spikes too).