Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #1 
OMGemily

water dechlorinator... gel?

i posted this question in my "he wont flare?" thread but that was originally about something else so i figured id get more opinions in a new thread.

i just performed a 50 ish percent water change and put dechlorinator in the tank for the 2.25 liters i added. however i used a different brand that came with my tank and even though i needed the package and made sure it was mixed up, when i put it in with a syringe i could see it floating to the bottom like it was some kind of gel. its been about 5 hours since then.

so here are my questions:
do i need to wait for it to dissolve?
should i add the amount for 2.25 gallons of another brand?
is too much bad for the fish?
should i use a different brand next time or is this normal?
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

I've never used a declorinator in gel, actually never seen one. It could've been expired.

I would change the water add more of another brand. Too much won't harm your fish but we don't know if the gel could harm your fish.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #3 
OMGemily

it doesnt have an expiration date on it and i dont think its supposed to be gel but it was just weird that i could physically see it and it was clear. if it hasnt dissolved/mixed with the water yet, it would still be in the gravel... so should i change all of the water and rinse the gravel? or just do a partial water change?
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

Was is really a gel when you poured it out of the packet or were you just able to see it in ripples as it sunk in the water?
If it wasn't a gel out of the packet, you're fine. Even my prime conditioner does that if I were to pour it in still water.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #5 
OMGemily

i didnt pour it out of the packet, i used a syringe. i thought maybe that was the case, just being able to see it because it wasnt water, and that mightve been it but it seemed a little thicker. and sunk all the way to the bottom. maybe im just paranoid i believe the brand was aquasafe
Old 03-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #6 
Enkil

I AquaSafe with my 10 gals when I bought them. It is gel-like in the package. What I did was mix it with the water before putting it in the tank. Doing it that way, I had no problems with it.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #7 
OMGemily

i went ahead and put him in the tank and hes just chilling in the corners (its a different one today than normal) but hes been doing that since i got him 2 days ago so i think hes still just getting used to it. i did clear out the gravel though and put a fizzy tablet in to re-condition the water that i had added just in case. it said one tablet for 2 gallons and i changed about 8-9 liters so about 2-2.5 gallons so 1 tablet