Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #1 
OregonDreamsBettas

Red face First Spawn... so excited

Hi all! I am so excited about my first spawn in progress and nobody else cares so I thought I would log on here where other Fishy People will be sure to understand. Lol

I decided to try my hand at betta breeding. I spent a week conditioning my pair... a steel blue HM male from my LFS and a metallic green female from BasementBettas. Then last night I put them in the breeding tank together. They were off to a rough start. The male chased the female and got a few good fin nips before she hid herself behind the sponge filter. I was worried but she had plenty of places to hide so I left them to it. A couple of hours went by and when I went to bed she was still hiding and he had also tucked himself under a plant. I thought I would let them be until morning.
This morning I had an early dentist appointment so I checked on them but let them alone again. They still seemed kind of lethargic. But when I came back several hours later they were both out and there was evidence of a bubble nest! Just now I stopped in again and the female has horizontal stripes and is definitely Flirty! She rubs up against him then runs off and he chases... then he runs off and she chases. Then even had a couple of interludes under the nest but no spawning yet. Still... I am feeling optimistic

Anyway... thanks for letting me vent my enthusiasm ... I can't understand why noone else is as excited as I am LOL

Last edited by OregonDreamsBettas; 03-02-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling
OregonDreamsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #2 
betta lover1507

i remember when the first time my fish spawned a joyful memory, believe you wouldn't want to miss it i actually have a fry from that pair, but not from that spawn :P
good luck though with the spawn and fry and all

Last edited by betta lover1507; 03-02-2012 at 08:45 PM.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 
Amphibianite

Huzzah another Oregonian eh? Haha. Welcome to the forums.
I hope your spawn works wonderfully ^_^. I just my pair spawn the other weekend, sadly the male ate the eggs I think. So I am reconditioning my pair for a couple weeks.
I wish you all the luck and will be following your spawn.

Oh what part of Oregon are you from?
Amphibianite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #4 
OregonDreamsBettas

Spawn update...

Well as of this morning my fish are definitely spawning! It was quite a violent start... they would meet under the nest and he would attempt to flip her over but if it didn't work he would get frustrated quickly and drive her away... and go back to tending his empty nest. After several tries though they seemed to get the hang of it and a few eggs started falling which the male completely ignored!
I left them alone for a while and went to get some breakfast. When I came back I saw that they were spawning much more peacefully and even more eggs were coming... but the male was still ignoring them. The female thankfully was picking them up and spitting them into the nest in little clumps.
Then I saw the male pick up some eggs as they were falling but though I watched him for 5 minutes or so I never saw him spit them into the nest! He must be eating them! BAD DADDY!
As I type this my daughter says he did spit some into the nest so maybe it will be OK. I think I will remove him as soon as they are finished spawning just in case though... any suggestions from breeders who have experienced this problem would be welcome!
Thank you!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Congrats......

If you haven't already, I would turn the sponge filter off for now or at least have it on really low...

I would leave the male anyway-but remove the female once they are done spawning....sometimes the male will have a good reason to eat the eggs-usually the eggs not fertilized, bad in general...etc.... and this will help the viable eggs-while eggs left unattended can still hatch-its better for the male to tend to them and even if he eats all of them-it may have been for the best and you can always try again. I always give mine 3 times before I artificial hatch the eggs for them.

What spawning method are you using, what live food cultures are you growing for the fry, what are your goals and plans for the fry....

It can be a lot of fun and rewarding rearing your own Bettas from eggs to adults......the spawning part is generally the easy part....rearing the fry can be tricky and when the real works starts.....lol.....but still lots of fun....at least IMO/E....laffs....

Look forward to following your spawn log and seeing pic.....you should post some pics of the breeding pair and spawning tank....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 03-03-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #6 
OregonDreamsBettas

Pics of my fish

Hi again!
Spawning is complete... the male chased the female off and so I removed her to a medicated bowl where she can have something to eat and recover before going back into her tank.
The male seems to be guarding the nest and not eating the eggs... I am watching him very closely and will pull him out at the first sign that he is eating them.
I am near Portland Oregon. We decided to try our hand at breeding for a couple of reasons... first we thought it would be fun to raise the babies... and my daughter is keeping track of the whole process to use for a science fair project. She is trying to guess the color outcome of the fry based on the known genetic combinations. We have a local pet store that will take some of the spawn and several friends lined up who will take others and if we have any really nice fry we will try our hand at showing through IBC.
The corner filter was bubbling very slightly but I went ahead and turned it off.
Here is a pic of the male. We call him Marco. I didn't get any pics of the female before I put her in the breeding tank and because I'm breeding them in a plastic tote it was hard to get pics of them through the side... very cloudy. I will take some of the breeding tank later in the day.
Thank you!
Having trouble with a picture so here is a link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27815323@N08/6762251717/
Old 03-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #7 
OregonDreamsBettas

Reply to OldFishLady

[quote=Oldfishlady;1001547]Congrats......

What spawning method are you using, what live food cultures are you growing for the fry, what are your goals and plans for the fry....

We put some live plants in the breeding tank which I'm told will give the fry some infusoria to eat for the first few days. I have a 3pack micro worm culture ordered and it is supposed to be ready to feed 24 hours after receipt so should be in time for the fry. Then we'll start some baby brine shrimp for the fry when they are 2 weeks old or so. That's our plan anyway.

I don't know what you call the method we're using... we bought a plastic storage container to use as the breeding tank and added a heater and sponge filter and some plants and a little square of bubble wrap in the corner. When the fry get a few weeks old I will probably transfer them to another larger tote where I will add more water as they grow until it is full. Eventually I want to get a 30 gallon glass tank for grow out but for now we're on a budget.
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #8 
PhilipPhish

Wow! Congratulations!
Post pictures of your new babies and the pair if you can! I'd like to see them!

Organ is the closes state to me I've found members from on this forum.
I'm from Idaho.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 
betta lover1507

congrats and good luck, it will take the fries to maturity by 3-4 months :P and hopefully we could see the mom soon
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #10 
OregonDreamsBettas

Another update

Oh the waiting! After removing the female, the male rearranged the eggs into a big cluster. But this morning when I peaked in I can't really see any eggs! OH NO!!! He either rearranged them all over the nest again or I am looking at just bubbles and he has eaten all the eggs. I am told it can take 36 - 72 hours for the eggs to hatch so I am just holding my breath... turning blue... OMG I can't stand it! LOL

Tags
first spawn