Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #1 
pinkcupid765

Sorority emergency!

Okay, I'm going to make this quick! I set up a 4 girl sorority today and one of them is really mean. Shes attacking the others so i took her out and the others seem ok. Now what? Do i take her take and get a nicer one? Why is she doing that? How do they act at first when you put them in??
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #2 
a123andpoof

I don't have a sorority, but have been reading tons on them as I am setting one up. Not all girls can live together. But I would put her in time out for a few hours to a day or two then try and reintroduce her, if she doesn't play nice then she may have to live on her own and I would get another girl who seems a bit calmer.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #3 
copperarabian

Does your tank have a lot of hiding places? Try moving things around and adding more real/silk plants at all levels of the aquarium so they have lots of escape routs. How big is your tank? You might want to add another female to spread out the aggression more if theres space. I also find that having different types of fish also help ease the aggression but that's just my experience.

Here's a photo of my sorority, when I first set it up it was loaded with plants. I had several amazon swords, and stem plants free floating at the top to help the girls hide when they're getting used to one another.

And worst comes to worst you just got that female who's very aggressive. But don't worry yet, most sorority's will fight a little at first.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #4 
pinkcupid765

Ill take a pic 1 sec
Old 03-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #5 
pinkcupid765

Old 03-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #6 
copperarabian

It has a lot's of open space, if it's in your budget get 2 or 3 more plants to float, and you could also get driftwood. I get reptile driftwood and boil it a very long time because the fish driftwood is so expensive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztHYW...7&feature=plcp
That's a video that shows how dense the surface of my sorority was when I first put it together, it only shows one corner because I'm only filming my African butterfly fish.

This photo shows a piece of driftwood I got from the reptile section, the sorority photo above is also from that section. Just make sure they haven't been treated. Both are large and under $20(above $17, huge piece below was $12)
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #7 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcupid765 View Post
Okay, I'm going to make this quick! I set up a 4 girl sorority today and one of them is really mean. Shes attacking the others so i took her out and the others seem ok. Now what? Do i take her take and get a nicer one? Why is she doing that? How do they act at first when you put them in??
Now that you have her out, keep her in the cup for a few hours and rearrange your plants and ornaments in the main tank before placing her back in.

Sometimes the rearrangement and the fact the aggressor was introduced last will calm her down some.

Good luck.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Definitely fill in that empty space. You want to plant sororities as densely as possible to prevent chasing and give each female space to get away from the others.

This is my 45 gallon sorority, which as you can see still has some filling in to do. I have had more problems with aggression out of this sorority, than I have had with my much more heavily planted 10 gallon.

Personally, I've found if a particular female is overly dominant, floating her in the sorority in something like a breeder's net for a week or so is enough to ease some of the aggression.

I just did it today with a highly aggressive female I had and after spending an hour or so intimidating one of the other females, she has settled down a lot more.

You can actually see the female in question hanging out in her 'time-out' box.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #9 
Silverfang

+1 to Copper and Little. You have to remember, females can be just as agressive as males. I had one, the prettiest thing, and she's so aggressive she's been banished to a 2.5. She's the kind I think would kill a male in spawning >.>
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #10 
pinkcupid765

I took the another one out. Now there's only 2 BUT they're chill. They're BFFS already :) I wonder if color has anything to do with it… they're both pale. Only difference is that Cherrie has blue eyes and a red dot and Tilly has black freckles and lipstick :D BFFS!

Tags
10 gallon, bettas, four bettas, sorority female community