Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #11 
Myates

They won't be BFFs soon... 2 females in a tank together will turn into trouble and soon.

I would keep them all separated while you get your tank filled in more.. then reintroduce them all at once. As mentioned before- females are just as aggressive as males and naturally do not want to live with other females. But we can make it happen if we densely plant the tanks, and because unlike males- they don't tend to set up a spot for territory in the wild.. so they do run into other females and don't feel the need to attack. All the time.
So fill it up with a lot more plants, medium and high level..

Also keep in mind, even for the most experienced betta keepers there can and at some point does happen on a level, sororities fail. It can happen a week after set up, or a couple years after set up. All it takes is one girl having a bad day.. and they all need to be separated.

Color has nothing to do with it.. those two were most likely the most passive of the bunch.. but once they realize there are only two of them, that will change and they will be attacking one another.

How big is that tank? For some reason it looks smaller then a 10 gallon..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #12 
pinkcupid765

It's definitely a 10 gallon…. And they're still not attacking eachother, but their hanging around each other.. Like schooling fish kinda… No signs of aggresion.. :) They're both the same color so maybe sisters?
pinkcupid765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #13 
PhilipPhish

I had a sorority of 4 girls too. 3 of them were perfectly fine in there together, but there was a red one that constantly fought with the blue one, even in a heavely planted tank. I had to take her out and tried reintroducing her several times, but it never worked out.

Some females, if they are relatively large and around the same size, will fight until one is dead in order to claim a higher position in the pecking order.

Right now, the blue one and the orange one(unfortunately, the other 2 died) live in a 25 gallon and are BFFs. I would recommend getting more though, especially if you have lots of space for them to hide in.

Where mine is a 25 gallon, they have more room to get away from each other, but in a 10 gallon, I recommend getting more or like Myates said, it could get aggressive.

Last edited by PhilipPhish; 03-03-2012 at 11:53 AM.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #14 
pinkcupid765

Yea! I returned the other 2 and in an hour or so i'm heading to a different pet store to pick up 2-3 more :) THANKS :D
Old 03-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #15 
PhilipPhish

Be sure you rearrange the tank before adding any fish to it and add the new ones first, Going from smallest to largest and ensuring they all have enough time to explore the tank and claim their spots.

If you get the chance, take pictures and post them!

Let us know how it goes!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #16 
pinkcupid765

This is Tilly! She's kinda see through with a lil' bit of yellow and blue! She also has black freckles and lips :)

This is Cherie. Pronounced Cherry. So far she's the Alpha even though she's smaller :)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #17 
PhilipPhish

Oooo! Those are some pretty looking girls! :)
Old 03-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #18 
pinkcupid765

I hope i can find a solid one >.< Want some contrast in there.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #19 
copperarabian

they look so pretty, I hope everything works out ok :D I'm excited to see your new girls.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #20 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcupid765 View Post
It's definitely a 10 gallon…. And they're still not attacking eachother, but their hanging around each other.. Like schooling fish kinda… No signs of aggresion.. :) They're both the same color so maybe sisters?
You doing fine. Just keep eye on them as it sounds like you are doing. There are always exceptions to the rule
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, bettas, four bettas, sorority female community