Banned

Unhappy enlarged stomach

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80f
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? only eats flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day in small amounts

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 3-4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? stress coat+ , aquarium salt

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? no

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? enlarged gut
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? has not ate for 3 days, usually has strong appetitive and is active. now he stays in the same area at the top of the water.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3-4 days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? salt dip, parasite dip
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? probably 6-8 months old

hello, i've noticed a problem with one of my fish. his gut is enlarged and he will not eat. usually he just eats flakes. he also is not active and usually spends his time staring at me from the same place at the top of the water. his gills seem to be working harder than they usually are.

he is normally very active with a good appetite.
i have him in a hospital tank and he is not flaring at the fish next to him but he is showing interest. when i tried to net him he surprised me with some evasive maneuvers, so he's not totally gone.

recently i added new ghost shrimp to the tank from the petstore. do you think it's possible they brought in some illness?

will add pictures once my camera charges
jasonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #2 
jasonh
Banned

it wont let me edit the post

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/1...fishimage1.png
Old 03-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Was he the only fish in the 10gal tank and you just added ghost shrimp correct...

Is he in aquarium salt all the time or was that just a one time dip-how much salt did you use and how long was he in it

You have had him 6-8mo or he is 6-8 mo old?

Can you tell if the scales are sticking up-pineconed

To understand-he has been fine until 3-4 days ago- he stopped eating and stomach is now enlarged, lethargic, breathing faster than normal

Any buoyancy problems, clamp fins, can you tell if he is pooping and if so, what does it look like.

What size is the QT tank you have him in now-any treatment tried other than the salt dip-when you look at him from the top-do both sides look the same-one side not larger than the other
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #4 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Was he the only fish in the 10gal tank and you just added ghost shrimp correct...

Is he in aquarium salt all the time or was that just a one time dip-how much salt did you use and how long was he in it

You have had him 6-8mo or he is 6-8 mo old?

Can you tell if the scales are sticking up-pineconed

To understand-he has been fine until 3-4 days ago- he stopped eating and stomach is now enlarged, lethargic, breathing faster than normal

Any buoyancy problems, clamp fins, can you tell if he is pooping and if so, what does it look like.

What size is the QT tank you have him in now-any treatment tried other than the salt dip-when you look at him from the top-do both sides look the same-one side not larger than the other
i've had him about 4 months. i assume he's about 6-8 months old.

he's an adult.
he is just floating up top and staring at me. he seems restless in the little 1 gal and he swims back and forth. i would say he has no buoyancy problem. i have some parasite meds added to the 1 gal tank.

i cant tell if he's pooping but i never have been able to tell :D

basically all he's doing is floating at the top and looking at me. and not eating. i do think he took a few flakes this morning but i'm not sure.

i guess he could be sicker but i am worried because of this bulging. i took photos of him from all angles. on the far left is him a few weeks ago. no bulge then.

so summary:

[1] 1 gal tank, salt and parasite treatment 82f
[2] no problems swimming [when he does]
[3] just stays at top of tank and does not eat.
[4] cant tell if he's pineconed.it's not obvious at this point.

i recently added more ghost shrimp from the pet store. he has had ghost shrimp in his tank for over a month with no problems.

usually very active and friendly.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Since you have already started him on medications-I would complete them per the package directions, you might want to go ahead and add some Epsom salt 2tsp/gal (Not aquarium salt) I would premix it in a cup of the tank water first-then add small amounts over an hour-the Epsom salt can help with the swelling....

I don't use or recommend OTC medication, however, I am not critical of those that do-I only practice natural treatment and once OTC medication are started I don't feel comfortable in giving advice....you might try PM'ing Sakura and see if she can help.....

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #6 
jasonh
Banned

i talked to my girl friend and she says it's probably a bacterial infection.

i am thinking of getting some de decaffeinated black or green tea and adding some. i'll try the epson tonight.

the fish still seems very strong so maybe he can fight this.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 PM   #7 
Myates

OFL gave you some good advice, but I want to chime in on a few things..

Honestly, he just looks like a full bellied betta.. Epsom would be all that I would recommend, if that even..

As for the tea- they won't actually do anything to help him, nor heal him.. the green tea will ever so slightly change the water color, but it's not a natural tannin and one that I've tried using but honestly does nothing for the fish. You are wanting natural tannin from things such as dried and fallen oak leaves, Indian Almond Leaves.. if you want something that is healthy and will benefit the bettas.

As for the medication, I'm with OFL.. most things can be treated conservatively and naturally, which is what I recommend over medications that take a toll and can damage their organs. Contact Sakura8 and see what she recommends when it comes to the medication.

As for some other things I noticed.. using AQ salt on a regular basis is very damaging to the betta.. being fresh water fish they can only handle so much salt, and for only so long. Constant exposure to it will cause liver/kidney problems and possible failure.. as well as bacteria and such will become resistant to it so any benefits the salt has when treating a sick/injured fish won't be as effective.. salt is good for brackish water such as mollies, but not for use on freshwater unless it is used for a specific ailment.
Do not mix AQ salt and Epsom salt.

50% water change every 3-4 days in a filtered 10 gallon is not allowing the tank to cycle.. in a sense you are causing a fluctuation of the chemistry to go up and down and all around.. which can easily cause your fish to go into unreversable shock. For a tank that size, no live plants, you would only want to be doing 1 40-50% per week, vacuuming the substrate during the water change. Anything more you are causing your tank to spike and become deadly.
Test the tank almost daily over the next 4-6 weeks to make sure it cycles properly and becomes safe. If you see a spike in ammonia then do a small water change to lower it to a safe range of 0-.25ppm.

Here is a link to proper cycling of a tank, hope it helps.

Last edited by Myates; 03-03-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #8 
jasonh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
OFL gave you some good advice, but I want to chime in on a few things..

Honestly, he just looks like a full bellied betta.. Epsom would be all that I would recommend, if that even..
no, he's dying. i may put him down later today with clove oil.
not doing very well at all.

regarding the cycling, water changing, and aquarium salt issue, everyone has their own opinion on that. i've had my water tested in the past and it's fine. its just one fish. i dont think nitrogen levels will spike at all in a tank of that size with water changes.

i think he caught something from the new shrimp i added. it coincides with that time frame.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Are his scales sticking out? if not, you're possibly euthanising a healthy fish! Some thought Sasuke should've died. No, he had SBD. this can come from over eating, gaining air in the tummy even(I've had a couple do that)...any missing shrimp?
Epsom salt IS good, and will help. It doesn't hurt to try it. What do you have to lose?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #10 
Myates

My mistake, you mentioned a few times that he was swimming and was strong, so was under the impression he just wasn't eating and had a rounded tummy.

I'm sorry to hear he isn't doing well.. everything was pointing to him needing to fast and possible Epsom Salt.

I would do more research on your use of AQ salt.. my info is from months of research, wet vets and others who have spent decades raising/breeding these guys. But as you said.. just my opinion.

Good luck to your little guy.. give him time without those harsh medications, those can cause more damage then the original problem.. and see how he fares then.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote