Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #1 
callistra

WANTED: Moss balls and lower light floaters (no substrate)

Locally I am rather limited on plants so I am hoping that either someone in the forums has some to sell or can make some recommendations based on experience.

I am looking for 2-3 excellent quality moss balls to put in a 5 gallon tank.

If possible, I am for some floating (not rooted) plants for my tank as well.

I do not use a light hood, but the room my tanks are in get a fair amount of sunlight from the two windows in the room. It should be good enough for the moss balls at least. That said I could purchase a hood if it was absolutely necessary and I found a floater I love, but I like the glass hoods I have right now.

With that in mind.. does anyone have experience keeping potted plants in an aquarium? Ecocomplete substrate, a terracotta pot and aquarium plants? I like to leave my bottom bare.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #2 
laughing

Oh wish I saw this sooner... I just threw out an insane amount of 'hornwort'!!

(Not convinced it is as under my lighting/fert conditions it resembles nothing of hornwort.)
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #3 
twinjupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Locally I am rather limited on plants so I am hoping that either someone in the forums has some to sell or can make some recommendations based on experience.

I am looking for 2-3 excellent quality moss balls to put in a 5 gallon tank.

If possible, I am for some floating (not rooted) plants for my tank as well.

I do not use a light hood, but the room my tanks are in get a fair amount of sunlight from the two windows in the room. It should be good enough for the moss balls at least. That said I could purchase a hood if it was absolutely necessary and I found a floater I love, but I like the glass hoods I have right now.

With that in mind.. does anyone have experience keeping potted plants in an aquarium? Ecocomplete substrate, a terracotta pot and aquarium plants? I like to leave my bottom bare.
I have experience with planted aquariums, but not specifically potted aquarium plants. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I definitely would use eco-complete (with maybe a bit of larger gravel in the base of the pot to prevent the eco-complete from leaking out the hole in the bottom..?) in a pot, and dose the tank with a liquid fertilizer like Flourish Excel or Flourish**, and every month or so add a root tab to the pot.
Since you don't have a hood, stick to low light plants like Java moss, Java Sword, Hornwort, Anubias, Wendtii, Ozelot Swords, etc. You can order them online from Aquariumplants.com
**Keep in mind, the regular flourish contains copper which is lethal to shrimp and other invertebrates.
twinjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote