Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #1 
Sena Hansler

Alarmed! What kind of rot is this?!

First, not many people commented on Sarah's strange rot so here I'll give you the run down....

Sarah's pectoral fin went orange. Not coloring up - no, just a strange blotch of orange on the colorless fish. Later, it went away on it's own. After a couple days where the orange had disappeared, SO HAD THE FIN!! She barely used it, and it always stayed flat against her side, but she swam normally otherwise. She later had passed.

Marge had gotten something similar. A random darker blue on her irredescent blue caudal fin. I did not take a chance, and immediately used Kanaplex in the sorority's tank. Everything was sanitized. Plants were quarantined.

Now it's back. ALL THREE BLUE FEMALES have this odd... darker... "block" of what I can only assume is rot! I don't want them to suffer Sarah's fate! What is it?!! How long should I use Kanaplex? I intend on using kanaplex because it is THE strongest med I have! It's on the caudal fin only. I need to act fast - just in case! I know it's just like Sarah's fin, and it is NOT colors coming up :(

I will also need to move the females as I have guppies and plants in the 29. I do have a 10 gallon... just no filter. Will that work? I don't have space to put 3 females in 3 different spots - I have 2 girls in quarantine right now anyways.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Can you get a pic of this rot, Sena? I hope it's not a female equivalent of what the blue males get.

For now, yes, put everyone in the 10gg, that's fine. Use the Kanaplex for up to 7 days. Combine it with API Furan-2 if you can.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I have that too!! I don't think it is. It is slow moving, very distinct with the strange colors... Sarah was orange, these three is blue. Like.... a darker version of their colors. But I know it isn't normal. I'll fill the vacant 10 gallon right away!
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I'm glad to hear it's probably not that disease. Good luck, Sena, and keep us updated.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

I sure will :( I just wish I knew what I was dealing with!! I feel I may want to do the treatment a week after it's gone from sight (or 2 weeks maximum). Just to make absolute sure. All my guppies were and are healthy, some of the females are pregnant (which is what I wanted...mmm protein - for the bettas....)
Old 03-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #6 
Sakura8

It does seem odd, not like the normal rot. Treating for two weeks sounds like a good plan and I hope it takes care of it this time around.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

i decided to treat the tank itself, guppies and all. just in case... I have no idea what in the world this is.... but I don't need missing fins!!!

however, on another note what should i do with my pineapple girl? (i think she is pineapple)... she had a little ich when i got her. now she is powdered... and clamping up a bit. i have her in a 1 gallon treatment, with ich meds. she's really active though lol. i might stick her in the hottest room i have to up the temperature as i do not have a small enough heater... or i could float her. just it'd be awkward to float her and she'd get stressed in any of the tanks i could float her in because there are males. could i use AQ salt AND ich meds for better results?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:48 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Yes, you can use salt and ich meds.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I'll do that for her then. Poor little girl. The other one is in really could condition luckily.