Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 
helms97
Member
 
helms97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Royersford, Pennsylvania
Gecko tips?

any tips on my leopard geckos home? we know its small but we plan on uprading to a 20 long within the next month or so, THX!
Attached Images
  

Last edited by helms97; 03-03-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: forgot pictures
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #2 
GwenInNM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by helms97 View Post
any tips on my leopard geckos home? we know its small but we plan on uprading to a 20 long within the next month or so, THX!

Looks nice. Leopard geckos aren't climbers, so the plants are purely for appearance, and you will not likely see him in them, IMO. The green carpet is a good flooring for them. If you ever want to do playsand, it's nice, you just need to make sure you feed outside the tank, because some leopards have been knows to digest the sand, and get obstruction.

The only comment I'd make is to have a "warm" side and a "cool" side, so if you slide the light over above the log, he/she can go in that for warmth, but the water is cool. Nice job!

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:41 AM   #3 
wannalearn
Member
 
wannalearn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: so ill
personaly i would remove most of your decortions, just to give him/her a little room, the carpet is fine, play sand is fine to. as long as you have a small dish of calcium out(which you should have anyway) as long as the leo's have sufficent calcium they will generaly not eat the sand(atempting to get calcium) i would as other poster said move the heat lamp to one side, to make a hot side,and a cool side, so he can regulate his temp better, and make sure you doing daily misting with water to help sheds,, or even better, look into doing a humid hide(very beneficial)...
wannalearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #4 
GwenInNM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannalearn View Post
personaly i would remove most of your decortions, just to give him/her a little room, the carpet is fine, play sand is fine to. as long as you have a small dish of calcium out(which you should have anyway) as long as the leo's have sufficent calcium they will generaly not eat the sand(atempting to get calcium) i would as other poster said move the heat lamp to one side, to make a hot side,and a cool side, so he can regulate his temp better, and make sure you doing daily misting with water to help sheds,, or even better, look into doing a humid hide(very beneficial)...

Yes, having a calcium dish out is good, but I'm not talking about a Leo just eating sand, I'm referring to it getting sand in it's mouth, therefore digesting it, when it catches a cricket. I feed mine dubia roaches, I breed for him (more protein than a cricket and they never die like crickets do) Also, they have no smell, and are soooo much easier to keep than crickets. We also feed mealworms, also easy to breed your own. If you "dust" the food by shaking it in a bag of calcium, your leo should get the calcium he needs. I live in a very dry climate and we don't mist the tank. These geckos live in very dry climates in the wild (Pakistan, Iran etc) and require little to no humidity, which makes them good pets for people who do live in dry climates. IMO, I wouldn't worry about that. Mine never has trouble shedding, and does eat his own skin as he sheds. It's wild to watch them shed. They are great little pets. They can live up to 25 years.

Gwen

GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #5 
helms97
Member
 
helms97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Royersford, Pennsylvania
We dust his food, and i did move the lamp over, i dont know why it was in the middle, we normally leave it to one side.
Posted via Mobile Device
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #6 
bettasusa
Member
 
bettasusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York City
I raised Leos myself at one point. He would really appreciate a humid hide. A hide spot simple like a glad container with a hole cut in the top with a dampened paper towel or dish rag that he can get into especially during the shedding process. He's a good looking fellow! Get him a few lady friends! lol. Lui
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #7 
wannalearn
Member
 
wannalearn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: so ill
no they dont 'need' humididy, but a humid hide is very beneficial.. and when i said mist,, i didnt mean mist the entire tank to raise humidity, just give the leo a quick little squirt.. i did the the previous poster said, a little tupperware container, but i didnt use a paper towel just a little eco earth,, stays humid alot longer.. and all my leos loved the hide, used it more than the non humid hides...(very beneficial)
wannalearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #8 
GwenInNM
Member
 
GwenInNM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannalearn View Post
no they dont 'need' humididy, but a humid hide is very beneficial.. and when i said mist,, i didnt mean mist the entire tank to raise humidity, just give the leo a quick little squirt.. i did the the previous poster said, a little tupperware container, but i didnt use a paper towel just a little eco earth,, stays humid alot longer.. and all my leos loved the hide, used it more than the non humid hides...(very beneficial)

Sure can't hurt. We had that for our girl when she was young, and just did away with it, because she never went in it, and has been around for years without it. When we got her, I read it was a good thing to have.

Gwen
GwenInNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have a leopard gecko? Campbell The Lounge 10 09-07-2010 07:41 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.