Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #1 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Patches and cloudy eyes, frayed fins....what is it?!

Hey guys!

I have a problem with one of my bettas back at home, the beautiful Colonel Mustard (the lovely one in my icon.... )

When we left for our trip on December 1st, he had developed light color patches on his sides, both sides. I tried medicating, but nothing took them away. Other than that, he was fine, so I figured it was just him....

I heard from my fish keeper today that other than frayed fins (he had them from a breeding attempt) he has some other strange changes. His fins became more frayed....and of course has less of them. This week he developed cloudy eyes, and from the picture it looks like the light color has taken over his head as well!

I treated for fungus before I left, so I am not sure on that. I thought maybe it was water quality....he's in a 4 gallon cycled tank....kept around 78-81 degrees....

The water had 0 ammonia just over a week ago. Now it has .25. Nitrite and Nitrates are fine. So somehow it got uncycled but still not bad enough to cause this damage.

I am so very sad and worried. Any thoughts on what it could be or how to treat? He's swimming, just very slowly.

I had her put him in a one gallon hospital tank, with a pinch of salt, betta spa, two drops of betta revive (blue) and a WonderShell for minerals. She said he has perked up slightly....

Any thoughts?
Thanks so much in advance!!!!
Cat

StarSpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #2 
StarSpun

Location: Toronto, Canada for the warm months, on an RV somewhere warm during the cold ones!
Fish keeper managed to get another photo. Wow. Just wow. It's breaking my heart
Any ideas now? Fungus? It seems to be the same thing that was on his side when we left in December, but never cleared up with any fungus medications....
And what would take so long to progress and then WHAM suddenly take over????
Stumped.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #3 
PhilipPhish

He looks like he's dieing from the outside in(I don't mean to scare you). I'm so terribly sorry.

I don't know a lot, or anything, about Betta diseases. But perhaps contact DarkMoon17 and she can help you.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #4 
StarSpun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipPhish View Post
He looks like he's dieing from the outside in(I don't mean to scare you). I'm so terribly sorry.

I don't know a lot, or anything, about Betta diseases. But perhaps contact DarkMoon17 and she can help you.

Thanks, I have contacted her. I am totally panicked and disturbed by this. I love this little guy and I just don't know what to do....
It does totally look like he's dying from the outside in. It's very creepy and horrible to see....
Old 03-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 
Silverfang

contact OFL, she's on now, I don't know what that is, but it's seriously bad whatever it is.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #6 
Myates

Looks to be a bacterial infection.. can see he has fin rot, so it could possibly be some form of bacteria infection that invaded his body.
Hopefully DarkMoon or Oldfishlady has a treatment for something that advanced :(
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #7 
Aus

My thoughts are with your poor betta, and with you also - this must be terribly upsetting. Please do give us updates, I'd like to know how he does. Sorry I can't be any help.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #8 
DarkMoon17

I can't say I've seen those white patches get that severe before, maybe OFL has? I've only seen small ones that don't seem to bother the fish any (like how you described them when they first appeared). It looks like it has spread across his eyes and possibly blinded him.

He doesn't look like he can handle medication. Treat with 2tsp/gal Aquarium Salt and daily 100% water changes. Continue using betta spa.

What fungus medication did you use?

Last edited by DarkMoon17; 03-04-2012 at 01:34 PM.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #9 
StarSpun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
I can't say I've seen those white patches get that severe before, maybe OFL has? I've only seen small ones that don't seem to bother the fish any (like how you described them when they first appeared). It looks like it has spread across his eyes and possibly blinded him.

He doesn't look like he can handle medication. Treat with 2tsp/gal Aquarium Salt and daily 100% water changes. Continue using betta spa.

What fungus medication did you use?

Thanks so much for the reply! I talked to OFL on PM, and she said, like you, to treat with salt and tannins (the natural way that I try to normally stick to). She didn't say what she thought it was, but implied it's bad and very advanced....

Another fish expert I know said he was almost sure it was columnaris, but I thought that stuff acted quick and appeared like a fungus, although not a fungus. There is no fuzz on this betta at all. The patches look like they are almost chalky.

Actually, this picture was taken just after he was medicated! He progressed so bad that there was no time to treat him. He was fine the week before when my tank cleaner went in (she said she only noticed the frayed fins a bit, but noted the parameters were fine). My daily feeder was the one to tell me....so this actually all happened within no more than 3-4 days! Other than the original patches of course! So very strange....

As for the fungus meds I used....I went with the maracyn....tried both normal and maracyn 2. I think I tried more than a couple of things but those patches never went away and he seemed fine. Had them for months.

Right now, he is sitting in very slightly salted water with betta spa and betta revive. I will tell them to up the salt and betta spa....and to change the water daily.

My poor guy. Is is possible that he is just old? I got him over a year ago from Thailand, but I wonder if the breeder lied about his age. I've heard people talking about that, so I really don't know, and I can't really see it....

I can tell you one thing, I've had it with Thailand fish! Fickle Thailand males....they break my heart repeatedly!

Oh....and apparently he is swimming around. Slow of course, but like you said, he could be blind. Normally when a fish looks this bad, they are not swimming nor eating. I'm so confused!!!!

Thanks once again for your input, I will of course report back!