Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #1 
FishyFishy89

Gravel to Sand....

Today, I've been thinking about changing Spike gravel to sand when I get his plants. It's just lately, I think his gravel looks....whats the word? I just feel unhappy with his gravel. Not sure why tho

So I have a few questions on sand, I believe I will be sticking a small plate on the bottom to keep the sand from getting a hole from new water being poured in....will the water get cloudy? Should I keep Spike out while it is cloudy?

Should I keep half of the original water in his aquarium and just scoop out the gravel?

I can't think of anymore questions....if I do post em.

Thanks!
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

So I went and bought some white sand. The bag says to let it set for 48 hours before adding fish. Should I let it sit for 48 hours? Why does it need to sit for 48 hours?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #3 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

You'll probably have to rinse it thoroughly since it has small particles, spend at least 10-20mins rinsing it. What size is your tank? Sand is only a good idea if you have a filter, the filter should take care of most cloudiness. I wouldn't put him in till it sets.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
You'll probably have to rinse it thoroughly since it has small particles, spend at least 10-20mins rinsing it. What size is your tank? Sand is only a good idea if you have a filter, the filter should take care of most cloudiness. I wouldn't put him in till it sets.
It is 5.5 gallons and has it's own filter. How should I rinse it? Put it into a big bowl/agitate it with my hands with cold or hot water running over it?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, you may want to wear gloves to protect your hands cause you have to stir it well. Get a large bucket, and run water, don't know if there's a better temperature. Stir it a lot, a dust should rise up and just let it overflow out with the water.. Without getting too much sand pouring out, it may take a while for you to get it, but you should figure it out. I'm getting sand for my 10 gallon too <3
Old 03-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #6 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Yea, you may want to wear gloves to protect your hands cause you have to stir it well. Get a large bucket, and run water, don't know if there's a better temperature. Stir it a lot, a dust should rise up and just let it overflow out with the water.. Without getting too much sand pouring out, it may take a while for you to get it, but you should figure it out. I'm getting sand for my 10 gallon too <3
alright
so I don't have to leave it sit for 48 hours?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #7 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Maybe not 48 hours with a filter.. Just wait however long until the water is cleared. Some sand is heavier, finer ones would take longer to settle.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:41 PM   #8 
Bombalurina

My sand (designed for tanks) had all settled within about ten minutes of me filling the tank all the way up, but apparently that's abnormal. Then again, I do have a pretty good filter.

If you have a filter with a long inlet tube, you may want to put a shot glass around the inlet base to prevent sand being sucked up into the filter. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

So I just couldn't wait until tomorrow to change his substrate. I changed it tonight xD
Spike was NOT happy in his cup. Needless to say I got a "talk to the fin" response every time.

Here's a partial view as to what the tank looked before

And here it is now.....is the intake tube too long? Looks alright to me

Floating Spike so he stays warm with his heater. He keeps trying to swim past the "invisible barrier"

Oh yeah...Kitty says "Hi"

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 03-03-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #10 
FishyFishy89

So it has been more than an hour. Water seems to have cleared up just a little bit. This maybe very fine sand...