Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 
Snowybunny

Question Recommended Tank Size?

I was wondering what would be a reccomended size for one betta? At the petstore I go to they sell their bettas in tiny containers and I wanted the betta I get to have as much freedom as it can.
Snowybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Most people here recommend 2.5 gallons as a minimum size for a single betta.
My personal minimum is 5 gallons, and one of my boys has 10 gallons to himself. The more room you have in your tank the more space for plants/decor and fun stuff like that, they really do appreciate the extra space and if you give them it they will use it, just be prepared to fill it with stuff (plants, caves, ect.) so they aren't completely out in the open all the time.

Last edited by peachesxo; 03-04-2012 at 05:12 PM.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

A lot on here recommend 1g or more... the bigger the better! The reason why bigger is better is it's easier to take care of the water. If you take care of your water, the water takes care of the fish :) Personally, I like 2.5g or more for a tank, but nothing under 1g.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 
Badjer

I like all my fish to have at least 5 gallons, though I do have one boy I keep in a 2.5 tank due to some deformities and health issues he has. It makes it easier for him to move about and get to the surface. The other three are housed in a 20 long that's divided four ways so they each have roughly 5 gallons each.

However, if you have limited space, a 2.5 gallon is just fine in my opinion. Just keep in mind that the smaller tank you have, the more often you're going to have to clean it!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I find this funny LOL When I had three 1.5g tanks for my boys, I had to do 100% change once a week, and one 50% change once a week. I upgraded to a divided 10g... now I have to clean that 100% once a week and I HATE it. I miss my old tanks :(
Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #6 
Aus

My daughter has a 3.5 gallon kritter keeper type container, with a small heater and colourful gravel, and a plant or two. It wasn't expensive to set up, and her fish is a happy little guy who gets lots of attention and care.

My tank is 3.5 gallon too, by coincidence, it's a more expensive Dymax IQ5 acrylic cube. I like it, and my fish likes it. Because he has less swim room than a 5 or 10 gallon would offer, I try to make his environment as stimulating (caverns, plants jungles, lots of interaction with us) and comforting (hidey places) for him as possible.

I wouldn't recommend any of those tiny novelty 'betta cubes' or 'bows'. They're just cruel and guaranteed to shorten your fish's life by a lot.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #7 
peachesxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I upgraded to a divided 10g... now I have to clean that 100% once a week and I HATE it. I miss my old tanks :(
Wait, what?
100% weekly water changes on a 10 gallon?
Is it not filtered/cycled or something?? I have never done a 100% on either of my 10 gallons and they have both been running for over a year now (they are both cycled though, of course) - that's way too much work, whyy whyyy whyyy are you doing that to yourself???
Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachesxo View Post
Wait, what?
100% weekly water changes on a 10 gallon?
Is it not filtered/cycled or something?? I have never done a 100% on either of my 10 gallons and they have both been running for over a year now (they are both cycled though, of course) - that's way too much work, whyy whyyy whyyy are you doing that to yourself???
I don't like cycled Betta tanks :) Well divided ones anyways. I find having to vacuum out each individual portion a huge pain in the behind and I always take out more water than needed when attempting (even with the 2.65g size siphon). I also don't use live plants, so there is nothing in the tank helping with waste and food/ammonia. The way I see it, it's not cycled so each 3g section will gain just as much ammonia as individual 3g tanks. I also have my own way of doing thing with my Bettas that works for us, over the last year I see what works here and what doesn't lol My Bettas are quite happy and healthy with weekly 100% changes. And yes, both are filtered which helps since I put them right back in the tank once cleaned so it's not a totally shock of clean water lol But yes, on top of 2 1.5g twice weekly changes, I also have 100% changes on two 10gs and a 5g... and then my two large tanks... I'll be selling tickets to the gun show with all the lifting I'm doing :P
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #9 
peachesxo

Ahh I see, well good on you then, I would die if I had to do 100% changes every week on my 10 gals lol
Old 03-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #10 
Snowybunny

Thanks guys! I'm not sure how much room I'll have since my room is small and my mom will only be willing to spend so much. I'll definitely be getting the betta as big a tank as I can though :)
Snowybunny is offline   Reply With Quote