Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #1 
ttk86

Switching to real plants

After 2 months, I decided to add real plants in my first betta tank and the result is lovely. He seems much happier and makes a huge bubble nest. It's a 5 gallons tank with filter and heater and everyday I regret not getting a 10 gallons one. I'm thinking about adding some algae eaters because it's a planted tank now. However I know 5 gallons is the minimum size for 1 betta so can someone please give me some advices on this matter? Should I or should I not add more creatures into the tank? If yes, which and how many? Thanks
Attached Images

ttk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #2 
kfish

Oooh, I love it!

Get a snail. :) Just one, though, 'cause they breed like crazy and poo a lot, haha. They're good at eating algae.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

Looks great!! I looove planted tanks.
I agree, I wouldn't get anything other than a snail. You might or might not get algae but if you do just keep it under control, that's what I do.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #4 
fishy friend2

You could easily have 3 male endelrs livebearers in there with your betta
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I would definitely NOT suggest having other fish in there, for a combination of reasons:
- 5 gallons is not a long tank, and Endlers (and other small fish) are active and need more space to swim. My Endlers make full use of my 16 gallon.
- It would strain the bioload. One or two live plants won't make enough of a difference to the tank's ability to cope with waste.
- It doesn't give the betta much room to have his own territory. If he decides he doesn't like companions, they can't get away from each other.

Any kind of algae-eating critter is unnecessary. Most will only eat a few forms of algae (the ones that are easy to clean) and you'll have to deal with the harder ones yourself anyway, plus they add to the bioload. I wouldn't want a snail in a 5 gallon because they are incredibly messy. If you want tankmates, try shrimp, perhaps. They have a much smaller bioload. Amano shrimp are great algae eaters, cherry shrimp are ok, and ghost shrimp are good scavengers.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM   #6 
JBosley

Your tank looks amazing Wish I wasn't a plant killer! Haha, your fish is pretty too.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #7 
kfryman

Live plants are nice when you get use to them. Maybe in a while you can do a NPT. Some people, including me, have them. OFL, if you don't know, is known for her planted tanks. They are really easy to care for and are actually less work then having just live plants. Once you get use to live plants, I would research about NPTs/fitted tanks.

Is one of the front plants java fern? The one on the left, if so get it out of the substrate, it will rot. Just have the rhizome above the substrate and your good.

It looks good other than that. For algae, you don't really need anything, you could get some amano or cherry shrimp, though they are scarce at LPSs and LFS. So you may have to order online.

For a picture of my NPT, you can go to my profile and go to my album, or you can check the thread in my sig.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #8 
fishy friend2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I would definitely NOT suggest having other fish in there, for a combination of reasons:
- 5 gallons is not a long tank, and Endlers (and other small fish) are active and need more space to swim. My Endlers make full use of my 16 gallon.Yet, by bettas make full use of there 15, and 16 gallon tanks too, but still on this whole forum, people advise newbies BEFORE they get there betta that a 1 gallon is good long term
- It would strain the bioload. One or two live plants won't make enough of a difference to the tank's ability to cope with waste.I had a tank, similar size, with similar amounts of plants, and 1 betta with 3 male endlers. the water quality was perfect, and they were very active, and healthy.
- It doesn't give the betta much room to have his own territory. If he decides he doesn't like companions, they can't get away from each other. Most bettas are very acepting and as long as you introduce the fish the right way then it should be fine, he will get used to non threatening species in his little territory, the only forecoming problem i see is that if the OP doesnt change the decor around a bit before they introduce the endlers
fishy friend2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

I'm not saying it can't be done. It just really isn't optimum. For instance, using the betta in a one gallon example: yes, the betta will frequently be happy and healthy (assuming clean, heated water, of course), but your typical betta will find more mental stimulation, get more exercise (and, of course, be subjected to fewer water changes) in a 5 gallon.

I just find Endlers to be pretty nippy little critters. They like to zoom, which I don't believe the average 5 gallon gives them the room to do. I'm not saying they won't be happy in there, insofar as fish are 'happy', but I still don't think it is the ideal. It's like I'm personally not a fan of neons or guppies in a ten gallon, because they can't be as zoomy as they would like there. It's not cruel and the fish won't suffer as a result, but again, not optimum. I like to be able to give my fish the optimum. :)

Judging by your sig, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you do too. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote