Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #1 
Nemo Betta

White Algae?

I noticed tonight while doing my weekly 50% water change that there is a sort of white almost skin-like build-up on my heater cord and there is a cob-web like fuzzy string hanging off of a pedal of my anubias. I just added some anacharis (which already had to be trimmed!) and the one anubias. Water is a constant 76-78, and I leave the light on close to 10 hours now that the plants are in there.I have 1 male betta and 5 cories in a ten-gallon, which is almost cycled. Is this a type of algae and is it harmless? Should I clean it off or not worry about it?
Nemo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #2 
Myates

It's white fungus for the most part- harmless, just annoying. Can take the items out and rinse them off to remove it. It is common in tanks with driftwood/live plants that are still relatively new. I did a whole spiel about it to someone not too long ago, but don't have time to pull up all I have on it.

Like I said, go ahead and wipe/rinse it off, but don't be surprised if it comes back- they tend to do that for a while.
Did you add in any wood recently? Is there a way you can get a picture of it? There are actually two different versions, curious as to which one you have..

Last edited by Myates; 03-04-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote