Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #1 
EverythingNice55

Question The Betta Death Mystery

Okay, so my betta Johnny who used to be so happy suddenly died. I had thought that he killed himself because I found him under his decorative bridge, and I thought he got stuck and drowned...but strangely when I pulled the bridge off, I saw this HUGE black dot on poor Johnny's lung. It looked like a human mole! It was disgusting, but what is it?? I didn't get to take a picture of it. Anyways, after Johnny had passed my sister and I went out to Petsmart to get a new betta. We found the cutest little guy. He was a baby crowntail. We called him Little Joey Caesar (or Joeus Caesar). We took him home, and Johnny's old tank was a big filtered 3.5 gallon tank with awesome lights. My sister and I scrubbed it and cleaned it perfectly with no soap, we put warm tap water in a bottle, put conditioner in it and let it sit for a long time. Then we put it in the tank and let it sit for a while. We put Little Joey in the tank and watched him carefully. He immediately loved it, and he was comfortable. But, we noticed that Little Joey Caesar became VERY lazy, he slept ALL THE TIME!! I'm not joking! He wasn't eating, and he was acting strangely. Then, my sisters and I went to my living room and watched a movie for a couple of hours. I went to go check on Joey right after the movie was over, and I found him belly up by his decorative plant. He had a little black belly, too!! It was weird! The tank is perfectly fine, and I checked it for any little weird thing, and it was perfect! I scrubbed it even harder and cleaned it even more, and I made the water better. I put Mr. Jingles in there, and he's loving it! Johnny had stayed in that tank for two months, then he passed. For Little Joey, it was two days. Mr. Jingles is very healthy. So..... what the heck?? Thanks for reading, and any advice or tips or comments are needed!!
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Black on the inside of their belly/lung, or outside? Might be a poisoning.... Did you have a heater? How old was the tank? Second hand or new? Ornament new or old? How old and what brand is the conditioner? I'd say, if you got another betta try having him/her in the tank without the stuff, other than the tank itself.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 
EverythingNice55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Black on the inside of their belly/lung, or outside? Might be a poisoning.... Did you have a heater? How old was the tank? Second hand or new? Ornament new or old? How old and what brand is the conditioner? I'd say, if you got another betta try having him/her in the tank without the stuff, other than the tank itself.

Johnny had a big black thing on the outside of his lung, and Little Joey Caesar had a black thing inside of his stomach. No heater. I had the tank for one month with Johnny and two days with Joey. I had just bought it from Petsmart. The conditioner brand is "Top Fin". I've been using that brand for a long time, and it's pretty good. Okay, thank you.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Do you have a water testing kit? I barely use mine, but when I need to I do so! I have the API master kit (liquid) which is highly recommended by quite a few people. It's better than strips.

Were they from the same store? Here, every blue betta I get is a "bad gene carrier" and even if they are rescued they are labelled unadoptable because of the disease they carry, that remains dormant for some time.

However, for yours did you notice any weird poo? or weird things in the tank (white specks, strings, black debris etc)? I wanna find out too O_o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta death mystery