Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #1 
Chesh

Red face Looking for tiny tank reccomendations!

Hi, everyone! I'm sure you get this question a lot, but for some reason I'm not pulling anything up with my search - so forgive me for repeating.

I have exactly 14 inches of space in which to put a 10 - 15 gallon tank. I want to house a single male betta, and one (possibly two) African Dwarf Frogs. I already have a frog in my 30 gallon community tank, but would really like to get him into something a bit more species friendly.

I'm looking for something tall, but with a narrow footprint - 14 inches isn't enough space for my 'normal' 10g aquarium. Froggy is doing quite well in the 18 inch tall tank, so I'm not worried about him with regards to swimming. Because it will house an ADF, I'll need to make sure it also has room to carry a heating unit, and of course a filter and a light (I'll want to put plants in it to keep my frog happy)

I've been searching, and am finding lots of hex and corner-style tanks that look like they'll do the job, but I'm looking for some advice from someone who has owned one of these! Also totally okay with getting JUST the tank, and purchasing the filter and heater separately (actually thinking I'd prefer it, but can't seem to find anything!)

Since this is the betta forum, I figure there are quite a few of you out there that have super-cute teensy aquariums and can hopefully advise me in the right way to go (and away from a huge mistake!)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer in this!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I can't recommend a specific brand, since I'm in Australia, but I have two tall, skinny tanks of my own. My 16 gallon sorority tank is 14.5 inches front to back and side to side, and 18 inches tall. I also have a 5 gallon hex (not sure of the measurements. I don't use the hex at the moment, but it does seem ideal for a betta (can't advise on frogs, since they are illegal here).

My sorority tank was a second-hand thing from a semi-dodgy seller in the local classifieds. It has no lid, but I'm coping without one. I had to buy my own filter, heater and light. I use a Fluval U1 and a Fluval U2 (I'm overstocked, so I need both), both baffled.
My girls are all absolutely fine with the height and explore it really happily. It doesn't lend itself to aquascaping, but I still find it looks really nice properly planted, and you can create extra levels by strategic placing of driftwood etc. :)

I'm sorry I can't help on brands and the like, but I really like my tank. :) It fits the space perfectly, and although it has a tiny footprint it gives me a pretty good volume, at least. :) Good for micro-fish that can cope with a small footprint but need the stability of a higher quantity of water.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #3 
Chesh

Bummer that you can't have frogs, they're really neat little creatures! Your 16 gallon sounds *almost* exactly what I'm looking for - I need something with a slightly slimmer footprint to fit in the space I have for it. Good to know it can house happy betas, and I know my frog can handle an 18-inch swim up for air (though less height is fine with me, too!). The stuff I'm finding locally (or on Amazon.com) looks pretty, but it's really difficult to tell if it's actually made with QUALITY, or just expensive junk - which is why I'm here. Hopefully someone can give me something more specific to go on :)

Love your avi, btw. . . cuuuuuuuuuute!

Last edited by Chesh; 03-03-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #4 
Chesh

Hmm... I was sure some of you would have something to recommend!
Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #5 
Aus

I've seen some 'bow' type tanks that are taller than wide. They aren't cheap, not the ones I saw anyhow, in the stores, but I've seen two secondhand ones on the net here. Sort of like this:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/me...ant-height.jpg

If you can afford it, you could always try having one made custom?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #6 
xjenuhfur

My roomie has the 5gal hex with her betta Derpy in it. It's not as many gallons as you were looking for, but it came with a filter and light and she seems to like it a lot. Its lots of space for Derpy to swim and Hes really active, even if he does flare at himself all the time. Can't tell you about frogs though, they're not allowed in our dorm rooms. Fishes only. :)
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #7 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
If you can afford it, you could always try having one made custom?
I wish I could afford to have a custom built! Thanks for the input, though!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #8 
djembekah

i feel like walmart.com has some tall tanks, but not cheap, and i couldn't tell you the measurements.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #9 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by djembekah View Post
i feel like walmart.com has some tall tanks, but not cheap, and i couldn't tell you the measurements.
Yeah, they DO, actually. I've seen them on Amazon, too. But it's really hard to tell from description/random reviews if they're really any GOOD, or just expensive junk! *sigh* I was hoping someone on here would actually own one, but I guess they aren't as common as I expected.

It's okay :) Thanks to ALL of you for chiming in. I'm not quite ready to buy one yet, hopefully I'll pick the right one when the time comes!