Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #61 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I honestly don't know what could've happened. I followed the same process with my water that I usually do. I use a digital thermometer and a heater to bring the water to the same temperature as the tank and dripped the new water in with airline tubbing.
I lost a spawn not too long ago the same way because there was a problem with our local water. I found out too late that the city was advicing to boil the water.
It was too late at night for me to check water parameters, I just did the water change and thankfully it was enough to get them back on track.
That sounds terrible! I'm glad you caught it in time and thankfully they are strong enough to withstand that.

The first picture is pretty cute! It's like they want to say something so bad, but just can't
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:37 AM   #62 
vilmarisv

Pic Spam!!!!!!
Attached Images

vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:42 AM   #63 
bettalover2033

Wow the red and blue is coming in already! For us we see them every few days and its like wow they are getting so big, but for you (seeing them everyday) you're like "Finally the colors are coming in!"

I think there might be a butterfly or two if that isn't the same fish.. **The 4th and 5th picture** They'll probably marble out when they get older though so I wouldn't count on it.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #64 
vilmarisv

I was surprised today when I looked in the tank. I hadn't observed them for 2 days and found them so big.
Most of them are showing BF pattern but I don't count on it sticking either.
I was hoping for a few different patterns & colors... so far they haven't dissapointed. I see greens and blues... looove the royal blue these guys are showing too.
I've tried switching them to dry foods with no luck. I don't have the patience to starve them until they eat it. Had to order some grindal worms for them bc I no longer want to feed them microworms and I sometimes don't have time to harvest bbs.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #65 
bettalover2033

I have also found that trying to wean them from the live foods is a bit harder. The best way I find works best for me is I add the live foods with the dry foods so each food is falling at the same time. Though of course in the end, there is more dry food than dead live foods on the bottom of the tank. Everyday I would do this will more dry foods than live, then less and less live foods, all depending on how they were responding to it with time. You said that they were looking a bit smaller. Try to feed meatier live foods to them to get them nice big. Also they get thicker in body size this way. It's how I usually do mine.

I know how you feel with the BBS. Yeah I got it, but it is a but annoying to have a batch up everytime you run out. Though I use it a lot!:)
Old 04-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #66 
Junglist

Hi vilmarisv just wondering if your a supplier for any LPS in your area?
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #67 
vilmarisv

It's funny, today I did that. I put some decaps in with the bbs and turn the light on so the bbs were swimming on the surface where the decaps were floating.
I saw a couple of fry eat decaps and spit them back out. After a few minutes I saw one eat it and go after more decaps so definitely works. I'm just concerned about the rest of them not eating.
It's a good idea to increase dry and reduce live foods, I'll try that as soon as I see more fry eat decaps.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 AM   #68 
vilmarisv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglist View Post
Hi vilmarisv just wondering if your a supplier for any LPS in your area?
Not at all. I breed because I love bettas and I have really nice fish... it would be a crime not to attempt a spawn. This spawn is not large at all so I might end up keeping them all as pets. I see you live nearby. If these turn out ok and you're interested I might consider letting a few go .

Sorry for the double post
Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 AM   #69 
bettalover2033

It has always worked best for me. That starving them until they eat it actually made me loose a few one time, but the second time around some just didnt look the same when they started eating the dry foods.

I get the reaction of them spitting the dry out, but eventually they eat it because it's there.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #70 
sparkyjoe

How are the fry doing, Vilmarisv? Any updates?
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote