Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #1 
PaintingPintos

Wink Too much bio-load for another friend?

I moved Omelette into a 3 gallon Pet Keeper from Petco today. He was previously in a 1 gallon unfiltered tank. (his new tank is still unfiltered)

He now has the bottom covered with glass marbles, a silk plant, 2 oyster shells, a clam shell, and a snail shell. There is also a 2-5 gallon heater and a Marimo moss ball. He now has 3 ghost shrimp friends to keep him busy/company. He seems to enjoy chasing them (though he occasionally gets pinched if he gets too close) which should distract him from tailbiting, a horrible habit he has had for the past 2 weeks. The bigger tank and more stimulants might work (hopefully.)

Should it be too much if I got 1-2 more ghost shrimp? Are there any other shrimp breeds I could mix in?

Are the shells making the water too hard, or can I leave them there? The clam and oyster shells are stacked making 3 little "apartments" for the shrimp to hide in, which they have done. They like to stand on top of the snail shell.
ALSO~ is 1 water change a week too infrequent? How often should I change and how much should I change?
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 
PaintingPintos

....and just to show you what it looks like.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #3 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Great Tank! :D Shrimpies will definitely keep him busy. lol
I'm not very knowledgeable on ghosties, but I'd say you could add 2 more. I wouldn't add other breeds of shrimp though. I know ghosties are bigger than RCS and ghosties have claws (RCS do not). :/ Hope I helped. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Ghost shrimp grow to be atleast an intch long. I wouldn't keep more than 3 shrimp in there :)

EDIT: a 20-30% water change weekly would do just fine. Although I think a monthly 75-100% would do great as well. Make sure you thoroughly clean the substrate as well.

Lovely set up. Do you have a heater in there?

Last edited by FishyFishy89; 03-04-2012 at 11:49 AM.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #5 
MaisyDawgThirteen

They do get to be an inch, but have tiny bio-loads. Fishy is probably right, 3 is a good number. :)
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #6 
Myates

Woah hold on there guys lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
EDIT: a 20-30% water change weekly would do just fine. Although I think a monthly 75-100% would do great as well. Make sure you thoroughly clean the substrate as well.
Firstly, in a tank that size, unfiltered you are looking at 1 50% AND 1 100% per WEEK. A 20-30% weekly water change is only for tanks that are larger sized, cycled and that have many live plants. A moss ball isn't really going to make a difference, not nearly enough to do what you are recommending.
The 1 50% and 1 100% is what is needed in any tank below 5 gallons, unfiltered. And that will provide the correct water quality without getting too dirty, nor be too clean.

Secondly, ghost shrimps need oxygen, and generally a cycled tank.. or one with lots of live plants for them to eat on and hide in. Honestly, your tank does not have adequate shelter/food source for them, to keep them healthy and alive.. would highly suggest getting a filter and live plants if you wish to continue with ghost shrimp. They do better in larger colonies, but your tank isn't large enough for such to happen.
Highly suggest making it a NPT before wanting to add in more shrimp.

The shells will cause the water to become harder, not to mention, depending upon where they came from, can leach out salts and other chemicals into the tank. Ideally, it isn't wise to put sea shells into a fresh water aquarium. The fluctuation of pH which those could cause during the water changes can make it dangerous.

Didn't mean to harp- but wanted to make sure you got the correct information.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #7 
PaintingPintos

Thanks so much for the info everybody!!!
I definitely agree that the tank is quite bare for the shrimps, but they are always out in the open.... they even stopped checking out the moss ball. And I'm removing the shells ASAP because it got cloudy :(
I'll try to get a small filter soon (and more live plants!!!!) if my mom says yes ("you're wasting electricity!!!")

So does anybody recommend a filter that's under $15, and alright for my size tank?
And does anybody know how much money a month it would be to run this type of filter? I'd just like to know so I can persuade my mom to let me buy one.... my fish and shrimp's health are in my best interests at this point so I'd like to fix them up a nice home.
THANKS!!!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #8 
PaintingPintos

UPDATE:
So I moved the silk plant to the right, on top of the heater. I did a 25% water change and I added 4 long sprigs of anacharis to the left next to the lamp so they could get some light. I added another fake plant (vallisnaria, plastic), and also a fake anacharis plant (4 "sprigs") which I stuck out of the mug handle. The shrimp seem to enjoy climbging to the top of the plastic anacharis and "diving" off into the abyss....hehe. I'm going to buy more plants soon (either that or just add a lot more anacharis)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintingPintos View Post
Thanks so much for the info everybody!!!
I definitely agree that the tank is quite bare for the shrimps, but they are always out in the open.... they even stopped checking out the moss ball. And I'm removing the shells ASAP because it got cloudy :(
I'll try to get a small filter soon (and more live plants!!!!) if my mom says yes ("you're wasting electricity!!!")

So does anybody recommend a filter that's under $15, and alright for my size tank?
And does anybody know how much money a month it would be to run this type of filter? I'd just like to know so I can persuade my mom to let me buy one.... my fish and shrimp's health are in my best interests at this point so I'd like to fix them up a nice home.
THANKS!!!
Running a filter isn't going to take up that much electricity. ;)
I just got my monthly bill from having my 5.5 gallon running for atleast 2 months, with the heater, light/filter my bill only got increased by 5 dollars.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #10 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Woah hold on there guys lol..

Firstly, in a tank that size, unfiltered you are looking at 1 50% AND 1 100% per WEEK. A 20-30% weekly water change is only for tanks that are larger sized, cycled and that have many live plants. A moss ball isn't really going to make a difference, not nearly enough to do what you are recommending.
The 1 50% and 1 100% is what is needed in any tank below 5 gallons, unfiltered. And that will provide the correct water quality without getting too dirty, nor be too clean.

Secondly, ghost shrimps need oxygen, and generally a cycled tank.. or one with lots of live plants for them to eat on and hide in. Honestly, your tank does not have adequate shelter/food source for them, to keep them healthy and alive.. would highly suggest getting a filter and live plants if you wish to continue with ghost shrimp. They do better in larger colonies, but your tank isn't large enough for such to happen.
Highly suggest making it a NPT before wanting to add in more shrimp.

The shells will cause the water to become harder, not to mention, depending upon where they came from, can leach out salts and other chemicals into the tank. Ideally, it isn't wise to put sea shells into a fresh water aquarium. The fluctuation of pH which those could cause during the water changes can make it dangerous.

Didn't mean to harp- but wanted to make sure you got the correct information.
Deeply sorry for the incorrect information. Now that I think back on my knowledge I know that my information was incorrect. I didn't bother to even take in the fact that she didn't have a filter. Having a filter drastically changes how much of a water change you should be doing.
And I totally forgot that shrimp of any kind need some sort of aeration as they don't really come up for air. Even my fishing shrimp bait need aeration xD
Thank you for correcting me. I really appreciate it :)