Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

I would just buy a cheap air pump, an air control valve and a small sponge filter. Anything else for that size tank will probably be too strong.

I would also chuck in some java moss for your shrimp as they generally enjoy picking through it (which is why most shrimp only tanks have some sort of moss in them).
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #12 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I would just buy a cheap air pump, an air control valve and a small sponge filter. Anything else for that size tank will probably be too strong.

I would also chuck in some java moss for your shrimp as they generally enjoy picking through it (which is why most shrimp only tanks have some sort of moss in them).
Yeah I was thinking if I bought a filter it could be too strong for Om and it wouldn't aerate much if it was baffled. But yeah I have several cheap air pumps. Can I attach an air stone to it, or will it be too many bubbles? Either way I'm happy I have all the materials. I could just use a bubble tube (like an air stone but it's plastic with teeny tiny holes in it.
I'll get some java moss to to get the shrimps happy again xD
PaintingPintos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #13 
Bombalurina

A sponge filter is very gentle, and you could easily get a check valve for the air line to adjust the flow. :) They also aerate the surface through their method of filtration.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #14 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Sorry for bad info. :/ Like Fishy, I didn't take into account that she didn't have a filter.
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #15 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisyDawgThirteen View Post
Sorry for bad info. :/ Like Fishy, I didn't take into account that she didn't have a filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Deeply sorry for the incorrect information. Now that I think back on my knowledge I know that my information was incorrect. I didn't bother to even take in the fact that she didn't have a filter. Having a filter drastically changes how much of a water change you should be doing.
And I totally forgot that shrimp of any kind need some sort of aeration as they don't really come up for air. Even my fishing shrimp bait need aeration xD
Thank you for correcting me. I really appreciate it :)
I'm sorry if you guys took any offense to it.. I was worried I was too harsh. Just quit smoking so can be a bit grumpy hehe. I just wanted to point out a few things in hopes to avoid any problems in the tank.

I know shrimps are sensitive to ammonia, so I would make sure to keep up on your water changes with them. Since you have live plants.. Instead of the 1 100% (for an unfiltered tank) I would do 2 50% per week.. and one of them go around with a turkey baster and remove as much waste as you can see.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #16 
PaintingPintos

So I'm thinking of doing a 15-25% water change every day. I've been doing that since I put the shrimps/fish/deco in and it works nicely... also because the shells caused the water to be cloudy, so I'd like to eliminate all the yucky stuff. An added bonus is that I have well water, which was tested before and is fine to put in the tank as long as it's the right temp. I just mix hot and cold water until the temp is perfect :)
I also have a TopFin aerator that I've had for a while. I used a small piece of a bubble tube and attached it to the tank wass in the corner, because the whole tube caused too many large bubbles, and too much water movement. Omelette was confused by the bubbles and kept trying to eat them ^_^
Well anyway, the shrimps still seem quite lively, though they've stopped stressing out over every little thing. When I came home from school I noticed that Ash (the littlest shrimp) had climbed all the way to a silk leaf at the surface of the tank so he could eat a fallen fish crumble... hehe little cutie xD
I'll find a cheap turkey baster at the local dollar store... shouldn't be much money xD My mom isn't willing to sacrifice one of hers lol.
I'l just glad all of you care for my little shrimpies and fishy ^_^
Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #17 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I'm sorry if you guys took any offense to it.. I was worried I was too harsh. Just quit smoking so can be a bit grumpy hehe. I just wanted to point out a few things in hopes to avoid any problems in the tank.
Totally okay :)
I understand the issue your having. My hubs is trying to quit dipping. It is uber hard for him. He is either eating so much or going on a rampage. Usually when he starts throwing fits I shove food infront of him xD
Id rather him eat too much than throw fits. Cause I'm the one who cooks dinner/makes his lunchs. It won't be hard for him to lose weight ;)
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #18 
PaintingPintos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Totally okay :)
I understand the issue your having. My hubs is trying to quit dipping. It is uber hard for him. He is either eating so much or going on a rampage. Usually when he starts throwing fits I shove food infront of him xD
Id rather him eat too much than throw fits. Cause I'm the one who cooks dinner/makes his lunchs. It won't be hard for him to lose weight ;)
And Kudos to the 3 of you for sticking to something xD (Fishy, your encouragement to you hubby is great hehe)