Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 01:35 PM   #1 
OMGemily

Betta hammock?

do you own one? does your fish use it? I bought one for Antione because it looked cute and it seemed like something he would like but hes yet to use it, so i wa wondering if any of your fish like them :)
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #2 
JBosley

I've heard that there has been rusting problems with the Betta hammock. My fish likes to sleep on top of his silk plants
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #3 
OMGemily

...do some of them have metal??
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #4 
vilmarisv

All of them have metal, it's what keeps the plastic leaf from bowing down.

The Anubia plant is a very low maintenance plant which has nice wide leaves for you bettas to sleep on.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #5 
Aus

Both of our fish have them.

Sid loves his to bits. He slouches on it all the time, and hangs his head off to say hi when he can't be bothered getting up. Haven't had it long, but I'm watching it for signs of degrading. In which case, I'll run out and get another one for him . He likes his floating plants, too, but it's the hammock he likes to sleep in.

Demyx doesn't use his much, so I'll probably not bother replacing his.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #6 
OMGemily

Quote:
All of them have metal, it's what keeps the plastic leaf from bowing down.
hmmm i thought it was plastic... it bows down a lot lol so maybe it is, i didnt realize they made them with metal though

Quote:
Sid loves his to bits. He slouches on it all the time, and hangs his head off to say hi when he can't be bothered getting up. Haven't had it long, but I'm watching it for signs of degrading. In which case, I'll run out and get another one for him . He likes his floating plants, too, but it's the hammock he likes to sleep in.
thats so cute! haha hopefully antione will start using his soon. i think maybe hes still getting used to the tank. he used to just chill out on the sunctioncup holding my heater and now hes been spending a lot of time in each corner, he still darts away from me when i get close though haha so i think hes just getting accustomed to his new home :) hes probly so used to that tiny cup by now
Old 03-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #7 
bettasusa

I myself used a hammock that fits a 10 gallon for reptiles. They love it, well actually only one girl who has seemed to claim it as her territory. Pics attached. Notice the cup I used to help float the other end since the tank is a 20gallon and I couldn't get the third suction cup to reach. Lui

bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #8 
Aus

Ooh - nice idea! I want one, lol.

The metal on the little leaf hammocks is in the wire running up the middle, which is fine for now, but since I hear the plastic coating degrades in time, exposing it to rust - I'll just keep an eye on it. Sid might get an upgrade to something like the one above...

And yup, Emily, it takes time - couple of weeks, in Sid's case, to settle in and shine - but worth the wait.

Last edited by Aus; 03-04-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #9 
OMGemily

thats what ive heard so im not too worried, hes in the third corner now, so hes making his way around haha i like the actual hammock idea :)

Aus you said it took a couple weeks to settle in, did it take a while for him to eat too?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #10 
Aus

Yup. The fussy bugger would NOT eat the flakes I bought. I was all freaking out.. then Sid got hold of a mosquito, and NOM. He was okay, just fussy and settling in. You could try some live food he can chase, like brine shrimp. I found the chasing thing really got his appetite going, moreso than the pellets. He'll even eat the flakes now -- LOVES them in fact, but I keep those as a treat, as they're not ideal.

Now he leaps up to bite my fingers.. like, out of the water. Fishus by name..