Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #1 
Kellecherie

HELP..My Betta has been lil sluggish, laying on his side against plant/rocks, etc.

Help, My Betta has seemed different the last 2-3 days. He's not as active, has been laying a lil sideways against his plant and down at the bottom of his bowl against the rocks, seems like his back end is sluggish. He'll go up to top of bowl and then just kind of drop float back to the bottom. His color doesn't seem like its changed, maybe a lil bland. He really hasn't been eating and normally he lets me know when he's ready to eat and is very very social. Ive had him almost 2 years and haven't changed anything in his normal daily life. What could be wrong and how to I help him??

Housing
What size is your tank? Its a Glass Bowl, not really sure but no more than 2 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? Dont check the temp of tank so not sure
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, but not sure what this is.
Is your tank heated? No, just normal room temp.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Micro-Pellet Food, Color Enhancing Diet by Aqua Culture
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day, about 5-6 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat+ made by API, has Aloe Vera, Replaces Slime Coat, Reduces Electrolyte Loss, Removes Chlorine, Chloramines, & Ammonia in tap water.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, have never tested the water. Its town water

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It really hasnt, his color may be a lil bland, and just looked and maybe 3 small white spots on his side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hes normally an active, very social fish, if you put your finger on the outside on the bowl, he'll come to it and just float and socialize. He seems sluggish and just lays on the rocks or his plant kind of on his side. Seems as if his back side is droopy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2-3 Days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I'm not sure what is wrong or how too. HELP!!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Never been ill.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 2 years old. I would like to know what there life span is.

Any suggestions or help will be very much appreciated. I don't want to lose my Finny fish and want to help him get better if I can. Thanks!!

Last edited by Kellecherie; 03-04-2012 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Wanted to bold Title.
Kellecherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #2 
Aus

Has it been cold lately? If he's unheated, and you don't live somewhere tropical, sudden temp changes could be contributing.

Since bettas can live up to 7 years, I don't think 2 years is "old" -- but do you know how he was when you got him?

Quote:
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It really hasnt, his color may be a lil bland, and just looked and maybe 3 small white spots on his side.
Maybe he has ick? Do the spots look like salt grains stuck to him?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:29 PM   #3 
Karebear13

Maybe post a picture of the white spots to identify if it is ICK or maybe something else?
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #4 
Kellecherie

The temps in the house stay about 68 degrees..and outside temps have been in 50s and at nite 30s....He's in the same place since ive had him. Also...I mistook air water bubbles for white spots...He's just sluggish and its like his back end is droopy and then when he goes up to top he just floats right back down to bottom...Im not sure how old he was when I got him but it was from a local store that kept the bettas clean. I just want to help my poor Finny fish and dont know how....
Old 03-04-2012, 04:26 PM   #5 
Silverfang

well if the temp in the house is 68, and no heater, he's probably cold. They prefer warmer temps, 78 is the ideal area. Living in colder water may have lowered his defenses. A heater is a must for bettas. Also when you say bowl, they are usually either .5 or 1 gal. In either of these sizes more frequent water changes are required. It is important to find out the size for proper dosage of dechlorinator.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #6 
peachesxo

He is definitely cold.
If your house temperature is at 68 and his tank is not heated the water in there is probably around 63 degrees which is much too chilly for a betta, and it possibly goes even lower than that at night, and since they are tropical fish they should have temperatures of about 78-82 constantly which is really only possible with a heater. He may have been okay with the unheated bowl for the past 2 years but now that he is older it is probably taking its toll and now you're seeing the symptoms (unactive, staying at the bottom, ect.)

It could also have something to do with water quality but the temperature is probably your main issue here, you may want to bump up your changes to two times a week, one 50% change mid week and then your 100% change that you've been doing at the end of the week.

I strongly recommend you get a heater though!

Edit: Can you post a picture? Maybe we can figure out how big the tank is, as Silver said, bowls range in size from a 1/2 gallon usually up to 2gallons, but most that I've seen are usually only one gallon. Small tanks are usually harder to heat, so upgrading your tank size so you can heat it properly would be a good option as well.

Last edited by peachesxo; 03-04-2012 at 04:31 PM.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #7 
Kellecherie

Im not sure if I posted the photo of Finny's fishbowl right and am hoping it worked and as you can see, He is laying against his rocks at bottom of his bowl. What size heater do I get for him? I'll do whatever I have to to make him better. Thanks for all the replies...Its nice to know that there are other Betta fish lovers out there!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #8 
peachesxo

That looks like a 1 gallon to me, but it could be a half..
They are pretty hard if not impossible to heat, but I believe there is a heater out there called the "Hydor mini" or something like that, it is preset and not adjustable, but should work for a tank of that size and keep the temperature around 78 (make sure to get a thermometor while you're at it, they are dirt cheap) - so you could get that, or, if you have the funds to go and get a bigger tank (like a 5 gallon) you could get a better/adjustable heater as well as a filter (which will often come with the bigger tanks), which would also lower the amount of water changes you have to do and allow you to establish a cycle (which you can read up about doing on stickies in the forum)

Last edited by peachesxo; 03-04-2012 at 05:23 PM.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #9 
Silverfang

Normally for heaters you want one rated appropriately for the size of your tank. 5W per gallon. In your case one of the zoomed undergravel heaters might warm him up to a slightly better level. I would suggest a larger tank, they are easier to heat (temperature swings can be quite deadly).

My personal favorite is a 2.5 gallon tank (I picked up a plain rectangular one from petsmart) and a 25W Theo Hydor heater. My boy is basking in 81 degrees of fishy bliss. I realize a larger tank is not for everyone, but just wanted to put that out there incase upgrading is an option.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #10 
Myates

It's a 1 gallon.. I would add in another 50% water only change per week along with your 100% for that size, unfiltered.

Bettas nowadays tend to live more in the range of 2-4 years.. so he is up there in age.. and they can't always tolerate the same conditions once they get older. As they say.. they can live in unfavorable conditions for some time, but eventually it will catch up to them- especially true in colder waters.. the cold water will cause lethargy, lowered immune system, slower metabolism, etc.
You can find a 10-15 watt heater for that size of a tank for relatively cheap. It will make a world of difference for him.

If you do decide you want to upgrade, you can do it cheaply for $10-12 at Petco- their Kritter keepers are great tanks, from approx 1.75g to 2.75g (medium & large).. safe to heat and gives a little more room to swim and decorate. Same cleaning schedule with them as with your 1 gallon.

The spots could be ich, or if you changed the water recently, could be bubbles.. if they look like grains of salt, let us know and we can recommend treatment.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote