Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #11 
IrishRose2124

I have a couple of the critter keepers but I found some better tanks that have filters and I find them much easier to clean then the critter keepers. Right now the little baby is in one of those cube things, which I know is not a good permeant home, but I am keeping the little guy in there for now until it's bigger. Then I'll move it to a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater and a filter. I have one plant (that's all the would fit) and gravel and the betta cube has a little. I found pellets that are very very tiny from Hikari, which is the same company I buy my adult betta pellets and blood worms from.
IrishRose2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #12 
IndeedPanda

I have a bit more info:

Food: Omega seems to still be the best as it has the protien and nutrients that bettas really need. It comes in pellets and flakes. Bettas like variety, so both work. If you use pellets, try soaking them in some water taken from the tank for 15 minutes so they will be soft and gentle on your fish's stomach. Blood worms are treats, but too often and your betta will miss out on good nutrients. Anyway, if you get the flakes they are easy since they break into smaller pieces- just gotta watch them and make sure you clean the water frequently.

Cleaning: Difficult... try that amonia alert I talked about earlier. I think the general rule was 1 50% change and one 100% change per week for a gallon...

Cycling: Since your betta cannot go into the larget aquarium yet, have you thought about using the time to put your tank through the nigrogen cycle? http://www.myfishtank.net/articles/fishless-cycle/
You can use a variety of methods as well as one that uses the amonia alert I told you about before: http://www.csupomona.edu/~jskoga/Aquariums/Ammonia.html

You've got the time, might as well cycle the tank.
Filtering: Yep, the pre-filter sponge is great! I've also placed one over an airstone so the water is very gentle but still oxegenated and filtered.

Plants: Try to see if you can get some Java Moss. Java moss helps keep the water clean, so your fish has less amonia to put up with between cleanings.

Heat: Sounds like you got that covered.

Toys: My betta adores this: http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Floati.../dp/B0027ITKBS

Decor: Make sure you drag nylons across anythign you want to put in the want. If it tears them, it'll hurt your fish. Bettas like to hide sometimes (making the cups in the store all the more terrible) so if you get anything with a hole, make sure your thumb fits through so the betta won't get stuck.
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #13 
IrishRose2124

I have all silk plants and cut off anything that will rip betta fins, I also make sure none of the decor have sharp edges. I've had two fish with fin rot and it is a bitch to reverse. I usually feed my betta pellets, but I do give them blood worms as treats. And yes I was planning on cycling the larger tank. Thanks for all the advice and info it's much appreciated :)
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #14 
IndeedPanda

You're welcome. I wasn't sure what all you knew or had tried and I've been researching and talking to breeders and figured the best information is advice you can share.

How is your baby doing? Still exploring?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #15 
IrishRose2124

Yup, swimming around and looking all the stuff on my desk. Swimming through the plant and looking at the glass pebbles I put in there with it. Also too some interest in my big red male betta, Dante who's tank it right to the the baby's. I can't stop watching it, it's so darn cute!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #16 
IndeedPanda

Watching is good! It means you'll know immediatly if there is any change in behavior- much easier to do when the fish can swim freely. Sounds like you really saved that little baby. Good job!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #17 
IrishRose2124

Thanks! Though I really wish I could have gotten all of them :( I couldn't believe that Petco had such little fish and in those nasty cups too!
Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #18 
IndeedPanda

I am always horrified by those stores. I have been told the following:
1. Bettas fear large tanks.
2. Bettas eat plants
3. Bettas like mirrors.
4. Betta fish do not need:
a. Filters
b. Heaters
c. Lights
5. Bettas do not jump out of tanks
6. Bettas get lonely... that's why we sell tank dividers and keep them close together. They fight, so you have to sepperate them, but they do enjoy being around each other.
7. You only need one kind of food. They only have minute-long memories.

Walmart is the worst. I've seen bettas there with barely any water, and other times they refilled the cups with tap water! Yes, using bottled water isn't the best because it doesn't have good minerals... but you still condition tap water. Ugh, the pet stores are set up to sell things. They have 'betta bowls' and fancy betta tanks. I think the company knows these are stupid, but they sell so the company trains their employees with false information because technically a betta 'can' live in those tanks.

Anyway, have you picked a name for your baby? What does he/she look like?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #19 
IrishRose2124

I know! It's awful! I could just on forever on how much pet store conditions are freaking terrible. I haven't picked a name yet because I don't know if it's a boy or a girl, I can't really tell since it's so tiny. So I just nicknamed it Cutie for right now, I'll pick a much better name later. I want to say Cutie's cambodian colored, with a little cream colored body and light pink fins and tail. Though I don't know if the color will change once Cutie gets older.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:26 PM   #20 
EmilyN

I have a lovely girl that I got as a Petco Baby Betta. I floated her cup in my larger heated tank to keep her warm and crushed her pellets so that they wold be small enough for her to eat. She is now the biggest girl in my sorority.
The most important things for you new baby is heat, food, and clean water.
You sound like you know what you're doing now so good luck and congrats on your new baby!
EmilyN is offline   Reply With Quote