Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #1 
IrishRose2124

Question Baby betta fish!!!!!!

So I was in Petco today with my mom, she was looking for carpet cleaner for pet messes (thank you, kitty) and I just had to look at the betta section. It was a little hard because in the last two months I had lost three of the four bettas the I had, including my favorite girly. Anyway so I noticed that a few rows down from the bettas was what looked like more bettas sooo I took a look and I found BABY BETTAS! Yes my petco sells baby bettas! I couldn't resist so I bought one. So after my super long story, my question is does taking care of a baby betta differ from the care of an adult betta? I bought a small home for it (it's so tiny I can't tell if it's male or female) and baby betta pellet food. I want to give it the proper care so it can grow big and healthy.
IrishRose2124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #2 
Myates

They have been selling them a while, and most people hate that fact. I'm one of them.
Their requirements are a lot different then adults-

Their food needs to be very high quality, and live is really ideal.. and fed more often.
A little warmer temps
Their water needs to be more clean then average- but not overly clean..

Sadly, even very experienced keepers have a hard time with those baby bettas sometimes. Sometimes some aren't as small as others.. but I've seen all ages of those babies being sold. Just sad.. the really young ones aren't ideal for the average person.

Is there a way to show a picture of it? Curious to see how much of a baby it actually is.. maybe you got lucky and got one a little older.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #3 
IrishRose2124

I don't have any pictures of it right now, and I'm pretty sure it's a baby. It's very very tiny maybe about the size of a dime. I'm letting it settle into a new tank so I'm waiting to take pictures of it. Well it's not really a tank, it's one of those betta cube things. I know that is not a good permeant home for bettas, but it's so small I figured it was a good size for now. I have a much large tank that I plan on moving it too when it gets bigger. I'm also afraid that the filter might suck the little guy up. So far it's lively and swimming around, and it ate some food a little while ago. How often should I change the water? How often should I feed it? What else do they require?
Old 03-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Poor guys. Juveniles shouldn't be seperated at such a young age. It's worse they go into small bowls/tanks without proper food or water changes. I wish they'd leave babies and juvies up to us breeders who can properly care for them.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5 
IrishRose2124

That doesn't answer any of my questions. I would like to know how to take care of this fish properly, seeing as it requires more than an adult.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 
IndeedPanda

While I don't support them selling baby fish as that is really hard on the fish. You have the fish now and at least it's not in a small store cup anymore. We can all start a petition against petshops selling baby fish later. For now, congratulations on your new fish! I think this site can provide you with good advice, they just also want to make sure you understand the difference between a good pet to have, and a pet the store should not be selling- I think you understand that, but again you already have the fish so...

I agree with live food, if you can get it and the source you get it from is good enough that you do not have to worry about parasites. Also, try: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3295905 These are flakes and a breeder i know said he crushes them up and gives them to fry (really young bettas). They are pretty good quality from what I've heard. This will allow you to give the betta more variety.

Can you heat the tank you have him in? You need to be REALLY careful with small tanks as the heaters available can overheat the water and cook your fish. What is in the bigger tank? Is it possible to float the small tank in the bigger tank (so the watter in the small tank will be warm)? I think 80 degreed F is good for a baby betta, but someone else will know more. I just know adults are happy at 76ish and babies need it to be warmer. (Not too hot though. You'll hurt the fish. 85 is the limit, I think...)

You could also get a pre-filter sponge: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250 I have one and it'll keep the baby from getting hurt by the filter. You can also try the methods mentioned on this site to baffle the water coming out of the filter.

Next, get this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11147371 It will give you a better heads up on when to change the water. You'll need to be really careful, attentive, and watchful.
It's a baby, after all. Good luck and report back to us as frequently as you can, please.

Now, as mentioned earlier: http://www.change.org/petitions/petc...ng-baby-bettas

Last edited by IndeedPanda; 03-04-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Found better links
IndeedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:22 PM   #7 
IrishRose2124

Thank you for the information! The tank I plan on putting it in is a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater and filter, and I totally didn't think of the sponge. The small tank (cube thing) I have him/her is in is only temporary but it is in my room, which is the warmest room in the house, and when I took the water temp. earlier it was about 78 degrees.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #8 
IrishRose2124

I just want to make sure the little guy gets proper care that it wouldn't have gotten in the pet store. So far it seems to be adjusting well, it's very active and exploring its new little home. I really wish I could have bought all the bettas but I only have so much room :/
Old 03-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 
Tikibirds

Exclamation

Why is it whenever someone asks for help other people put in their opinions??

Anyways, alot of people have had trouble keeping them alive and not just noobs to fishkeeping. I think it all depends on how old the fish is. I have seen some really TINY ones that probably shouldnt be sold and some not so tiny ones.

Somewhere on here is a much larger thread about the baby bettas. Probably alot of help in that.

What I did was, since I have several large tanks that are heated and I heard that many of the babies did not do so well in larger tanks, I floated the cup in a heated tank and used a eyedropper type thing to swap out the water. I crushed up the pellets and he ate them but I also had frozen blood worms.

Im assuming the baby came from petco. Depending on the baby's size - I would start the baby out in one of their pet keepers. I think the largest one is 2.5-3 gallons and for some reason the same exact ones are cheaper in the reptile section (with green lids). The hagen elite 25 watt fits perfectly in them. And I would add in plents of plants and such so that the little guy feels secure.

I have also heard that covering the top with plastic wrap (with holes) helps because it keeps the humidity high.

Good Luck

I picked female the other day that was labled as an VT F but she was maybe an inch long. She didint move much but when I added more silk plants, she really perked up.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-04-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
Why is it whenever someone asks for help other people put in their opinions??
Welcome to the internet.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote