Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #1 
MarcusTheGreat

Help Upgrading tank from 10g to 40g

im sort of in a pickle hear im getting a 40g tank for free from my girlfriends dad im gonna have to cycle it and do the whole process .

my question is what should i do with the heater situation i have a heater in my 10g tank and i cant move it to the new tank cuz then the water in my 10g tank will start getting cold i do not wanna buy a second heater is there other a options? this is just temporary until my 40g tank finishes cycling and then im gonna give my 10g tank away

i hope you guys understand what im trying to say lol kinda sounds confusing lol
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #2 
Zero186

Well the new tank is 4 times the water volume can the heater support a tank that size?
Zero186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #3 
peachesxo

Buying a new heater will probably be inevitable, a heater that heats a 10 gallon is usually 50 watts and will not be able to sufficiently heat a 40 gallon. A 40 gallon requires a 100 watt heater to reach the stable temperature for bettas/other tropical fish.
peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I would personally rather a 300W heater for a 40g, better to over shoot rather than under shoot with heaters :) But yes, either way you'll have to get a heater for your tank.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

+1. I wouldn't go anything under 200 watts, that's for sure. So you are going to have to buy a second heater (unless of course you are using a 200 watt heater in your 10 gallon, which would be pretty dangerous).
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote