Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #1 
JD3P

How To Disinfect Filters

I have two filters that I need to disinfect. I am not sure how to go about this by using chemicals, without ruining them. I would like to make sure I get them completely clean before ever using them again. I also have a glass heater and a ceramic heater, some rocks, and a few silk betta plants. Is bleach safe to use on those last items? Or should I use vinegar? My fish had a bacterial infection as far as I know, I never saw anything parasitic. However I'd like to make sure I completely kill any harmful bacteria from these items before reusing them. I figure for the tanks I can just let a bleach or vinegar solution sit overnight.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #2 
ZergyMonster

I always just soaked and scrubbed my stuff with scalding hot water. Recently I started to use vinegar. A 1/9 vinegar/water solution.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 
Zappity

I don't know about the filters, but for everything else, I would fill your tank about to the top with scalding hot water, and then add in white vinegar until you can smell like it. Let it soak for 24hours and then scrub everything REALLY incredibly good with scalding hot water. When you think you are done, do it one more time. Dry everything with a clean towel or in the sunlight, and taadaa! you're ready to use :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacterial, disinfect, filter, tank