Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #1 
Kyle Brown

Lightbulb 2.6 Gallon Divided Tank

Hey guys. First off please NO MEAN COMMENTS ON THIS POST!

I have a 2.6 gallon aquarium that is heated, filtered and has plenty of decor for my betta oscar. But I really hate seeing those betas stuck in those death cups rotting :( I really want to rescue another betta, but my mom refuses to let me have more than one fish tank! So I was thinking about dividing my current tank.

The tank is 2.6 gallons and has a square shape. I was thinking about dividing it diagonally to make into 2 1.3 gallon triangles. I know this is small for a betta, but I figure 1.3 gallons of heated and filtered water is better thank those little cups.

I would put a silk plant in each section, and moss ball in each section. Sand would be the substrate. I would take two small Tera cotta pots and make caves out of them for each guy. I would possibly put a live plant like Anubias in.

How does everyone feel about this?? I know it's a small living space but I know it's better than the store. Please don't think I'm doing this for selfish reasons because I'm not. I just can't stand to walk by them and leave them to die.
Kyle Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #2 
bre23

I wouldn't recommend it for aggression reasons, mostly. I recently divided my 5.5 gallon and have two males on each side, and even with a lot of space to escape the other fish and lots of hiding places it has been stressful for them. The fish who originally lived in the 5.5 gallon all by himself is pretty territorial, almost like he wants to claim back his "stolen" territory.

I'm not sure how that would change with less gallonage, but I could assume it would mean it would be even harder for the fish to "escape" each other, causing stress. What kind of divider are you planning on using? Store-bought or homemade?
bre23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #3 
LurkerMom

My only concern would be that your downgrading oscar. He might be super agressive even without another fish
Test it first :)
LurkerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #4 
LurkerMom

She said one tank right?
Get a 5 gallon and divide it in two 2.5 ;) sell the other one hihi
LurkerMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:07 PM   #5 
VivianKJean

i really don't recommend dividing a 2.6 gallon tank. I agree, get a 5 gallon and divide it. bettas need at least 2.5 gallons but 5 is better. I also agree that this may cause your current betta to get aggressive to the new fish.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #6 
16kehresmann

I completely understand the wanting to rescue another fish. And true 1.3 gallons is better than that tiny cup but what you really have to look at is the quality of life your giving that rescue. True he might be better off than he was at the pet store but how happily can he live his entire life in 1.3 gallons? In my opinion not very happily. If your going to do this I suggest getting at the smallest a 5 gallon and dividing it up...1.3 gallons is a step up from a cup but not much better. Also many "rescues" have ailments like fin rot or popeye ECT ECT and having a rescue in with your current betta could easily and most likely cause the disease to spread to your already healthy fish. Also not to be rude or anything but there's ALWAYS going to be sick fish in need of a rescue..and by no means will they all be saved..Your best bet is to give the fish you currently have the best life possible, and the best life possible is not living in 1.3 gallons. If you really want to help these little fishies make sure you care for the one you have, and help educate people on how to properly care for bettas...That's how you'll really save them. C:
16kehresmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #7 
haveyouhadyourteayet

Pretty much in agreement with the above posters. While 1.3G is ok for one fish, having a divided tank in that small amount of water is really stressful. Plus, that's a pretty heavy bioload on a small amount of water that can't really form a stable cycle.

I would see if your mum is agreeable to upgrading, or maybe just wait till your bday or something, and get a second tank.
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:49 PM   #8 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
Agree, agree, agree. I like the person above me's idea (too lazy to type their name). Ask you mom about it
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #9 
cathayvet

You can't save them all. Next week there will be more. Just do your best for the one that you have and educate new betta owners.
cathayvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #10 
Andre Decasa

2.6 is already small honey.. 1 betta is enough..
Andre Decasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta tank, divided betta tank