Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #1 
Punki

What is this rescued fish? Help ASAP! Pics inside..

Okay, so basically my grandma rents places out, and this lady ditched out and left a fish in a nasty tank filled with brown water and snails for a week without food and im sure much longer without a water change. Today, a week later, they go in to clean it and find this fish in its nasty stuff and they figure who better to give it to then me aka family fish girl LOL! But i know alot about Bettas....Not other types, and i got no idea what this is. Its tiny and pretty and underweight im sure, and its a bit raggedy but i cleaned its tank, put fresh water in and prime and im just unsure if it needs heat or an airstone or what... I tried to get pics of it but its fast, i hope someone knows.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #2 
FishyFishy89

looks like a dalmatian molly...looks too long and skinny to be one tho.
However, considering she left the tank in that state lord knows wither or not the fish was ever fed.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #3 
Punki

Thank you, on the main tropical fish forum someone else agreed with what you said, a dalmation molly. But a really malnourished one =/ Its tail is a bit ripped but it was the only fish in a bowl with about 100 snails.... The bowl held 3g and the water looked yellow at a glance and was very full of poo.. Despite its conditions it seems happy in fresh water :) Luckily its care is similar to my bettas so i already have a heater ect. But im wondering...I bred my bettas about 5 months ago and the babies i kept were all females and peaceful at that. Thres room for it in there if it/they get along but im not sure about that.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
Thank you, on the main tropical fish forum someone else agreed with what you said, a dalmation molly. But a really malnourished one =/ Its tail is a bit ripped but it was the only fish in a bowl with about 100 snails.... The bowl held 3g and the water looked yellow at a glance and was very full of poo.. Despite its conditions it seems happy in fresh water :) Luckily its care is similar to my bettas so i already have a heater ect. But im wondering...I bred my bettas about 5 months ago and the babies i kept were all females and peaceful at that. Thres room for it in there if it/they get along but im not sure about that.
I wouldn't put this little one in with anyone just yet. He or she may have some hidden issues that could affect your whole set up.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #5 
Shirleythebetta

Sometimes mollys can be agressive I have two (black mollys) and I would never put them with my betta's they can get as big as 6 inches but I think that depends on if this guys growth was stunted being in nasty water. They are also mostly recommended for 20 gallon tanks and brackish water. I agree that it does look like a dalmation molly. I miss mine :(
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 PM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

p.s. they also do better in groups. They are schoolers if you could pull that off. The only issue with it being with more mollys is they are breeders! You may end up with loads of babys.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #7 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
p.s. they also do better in groups. They are schoolers if you could pull that off. The only issue with it being with more mollys is they are breeders! You may end up with loads of babys.
THIS....was the main issue that made me turn away from mollies. I love how cute they are and debated on stocking my 75 gallon with tons of mollies. But then I heard they breed faster than jack rabbits o.O
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #8 
Punki

Hm.. My stepmom up the road has a heated outdoor pond that holds 100's of gallons of water. It has goldfish, random minnows, and koi in it, Maybe this guy would be happier there with more space. I dont really have space for a big fish if it grows beyond a 3-5g tankspace. Would it do okay with larger fish? I worry it may get eaten by a monster Koi lol!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #9 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punki View Post
Hm.. My stepmom up the road has a heated outdoor pond that holds 100's of gallons of water. It has goldfish, random minnows, and koi in it, Maybe this guy would be happier there with more space. I dont really have space for a big fish if it grows beyond a 3-5g tankspace. Would it do okay with larger fish? I worry it may get eaten by a monster Koi lol!
Yeah, kois would make a lunch outta him....or her
Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #10 
Shirleythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
THIS....was the main issue that made me turn away from mollies. I love how cute they are and debated on stocking my 75 gallon with tons of mollies. But then I heard they breed faster than jack rabbits o.O
They are so similar to platys. I bought a female platy and a week later she had forty babys.