Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #31 
FishyFishy89

great job take care of her/him. To me it looks like she/he has gained some weight back. but it has only been 3 days. I'm sure he/she is happy that you have found her/him
lol, lotta he/shes and him/hers...hopefully we can give this fish a gender xD
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #32 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I heard you can sex mollies, might wanna look it up. S/he may still be too thin to tell though. If it's a girl I'd find her another girl Mollie to share the 15 gallons with later on :D
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #33 
Chesh

You sure can! Mollies are live-bearers, so it's pretty easy to tell. Congratulations, momma! THAT fish is ALLLLLLL BOY! MR. MOLLY to you! ;) If you look at his anal fin, you can see that it's long and tubular. That's his gonopodium. . . and how he makes babies! ;) If it were a girl it would be rounded. :) Males are also longer and thinner than females, but in this case it's pretty hard to judge by that. They are VERY friendly and clever fish (in my experience). Mine will eat out of my hand (when I'm trying to feed my frog) - Very curious and playful fish. They really seem to love it when I hide their food from them (behind foliage, in a decoration) and when I re-arrange things in their tank. Mine spent the entire day poking a moss-ball around when I first brought it home, and they give me so much trouble when I'm trying to vacuum the tank/change the water. They just want to be all about whatever is going on in there. They really are a lot of fun! Mine would eat until they popped, though. Maybe he's so used to starving that he's feeling very full? Poor malnourished thing! Might be good to take it slowly at first so he doesn't get sick from so much GOOD food! You know that horrible woman never fed him delicacies like blood-worms! Odd question, but Mollies are omnivores, and enjoy some veggie treats. Have you noticed if he's produced any waste? My mollies LOVE LOVE LOVE it when I peel the skin off a frozen pea or two and toss it in the tank. It's also great for their digestive systems!

I'm so glad that he's doing so much better. Thank you for posting updated pictures - I can't wait to see him nice and plump and natural-looking again. He'll be a beauty for sure!

Last edited by Chesh; 03-07-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #34 
Punki

Oh my goodlness! GOOD GOLLY MR MOLLY, opps! lol!!!! Poor little guy. Are males territorial at all compared to females, say if i got him a male friend would they get along? Im assuming they are nothing like bettas in the breeding department, that they dont fight, just make lots of babies :))
Im currently giving him some tiny goldfish flakes in the morning, just a tiny bit, and bloodworm for dinner. I have mosquito larvae for the bettas but im not sure if hed go for that or if i would end up with a mosquito in the house :)) The goldfish flakes are organic at least, i need to pick up some unsalted peas to try every now and then. Hes pooping quite a bit, its brown YAY! I was so worried id see a white poo or constipation but he seems no worse off then my bettas, just hungry. I will update here and there on the thread with pics when i see progress with him. Im assuming it will take a couple of months for him to be 100% healthy again. Hes quite cute though. Ive always been a betta lover because of their interactive nature, eating off my fingers, swimming through my fingers ect, i ha no idea any other types of fish would do that. :)
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #35 
Chesh

I'm hoping someone who knows a bit more about Mollies can chime in to help you there! I'm a brand new, fresh out of the pet-store (oops!) fish owner. I only know so much about Mollies because I have two of them (dalmatians) so have been doing a ton of research on them (which brought me to your post!). Accidentally, a male and a female. My next move when cycling is 100% completed is to get another female or two to help even things out with the male. . . so he doesn't harass her to death with his manly 'needs.' ;) I DO know that they're very closely related to guppies, so if you know anything about how male guppies do in a group, I'd guess that Mollies would be the same. Mine are very peaceful toward all other living things in the tank, though, so I wouldn't *expect* them to fight. Be watching to see if someone else can give a better answer. Also not sure about the mosquitoes. They seem to eat anything and everything I've tossed in there, though!

I'm glad you love him! I hope you decide to keep him. Mollies are very clever little fishies, and the interaction is exactly why I'm so enamored of mine, too!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #36 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...es-110833.html
From what I can tell, 2 males should be okay.. It seems like a less aggressive betta sorority. On another forum someone recommended 3 to even out possible aggression.. But either way I think he'd prefer a friend after be gets strong enough to not get picked on too much..
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #37 
Shirleythebetta

Mollies, Molly Fish <----- great link

this link is pretty good. I think yours is a male. My molly's are fattys with fan fins. def you have a boy! Best to only put him with his own species. They can be agressive to others but he should have a buddy of his own type.

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 03-07-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #38 
Chesh

Hey! I did some looking and found that occasional feedings of frozen mosquito larvae and other aquatic invertebrates is beneficial for mollies! So there you go! Looking at his shape (though it's admittedly hard to tell in his current state) I'm wondering if he's a Harlequin Sailfin Molly? They seem to be a bit longer and thinner than my dalmatians. Harder to find info on them, specifically, though.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #39 
Shirleythebetta

I feed my molly's blood worms once a week and they go crazy for them
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #40 
Chesh

It's been bothering me that your fish's eyes are so BIG and he's so long and thin. Granted, he's probably undernourished, so I figured it was just that. But I was reading through my livebearer book today, and came across a few images of phalloceros caudimaculatus (called One-spot livebearer, and Dusky Millions fish) I'm kind of thinking that this might be what you have there. They look a LOT like Mollies, especially the speckled ones, but they seem to be longer and thinner, with bigger eyes, and *ahem* have a longer gonopodium (your fish's would put MY male molly to shame).

I'm a new fish-keeper, so DEFINITELY not an expert. But go look at the images and tell me what you think!