Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2015, 09:19 AM   #1 
BettaObsessed

Smile Dividing A Large Tank

Ok, so I'm about to get a 60 gallon tank for my bettas. I would house 5 in it. They would each have an equal amount of space. I heard from someone that when males constantly see each other it shortens their life span. Is this true? My priority is to make sure these fish are living the dream. Would opaque fiberglass work if I got holes drilled in it to keep them from seeing each other? I don't want them to stress out.
Second I want to know if the dividers would need to be siliconed in place or if suction cups would work? I'd feel absolutely terrible if I was away and they wiggled their way past the dividers because they broke the suction. I just want everything to be perfect...
Last but not least, would I be able to house males and females in they divided tank? I know that they release a "scent" that lets other bettas know they're there. Would the smell of the male bettas stress her out of cause her to become egg bound?
Thanks!
BettaObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #2 
JDAquatics

If you have a lot of plants and decorations in the tank then the bettas wont be able to see each other all the time and this should work fine. I personally would silicone the dividers unless you want to easily rearrange them later.
JDAquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #3 
BettaObsessed

Thanks so much! I think I will silicone them in place as I would hate to have something happen when I was away and want to have this tank for awhile. I plan to heavily plant it, so I don't think they will be able to see each other very often and I'm hoping that if they do see each other that they'll only flare up for a few minutes as this means I wouldn't have to do it myself with a mirror for excercise! Thanks so much again!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #4 
Vireo

URGH! I wish I had the room! Jealous! :P

How many filters are you planning on? Just curious. :D

You should be fine with lots of plants, light tall grasses, etc. near the dividers... Or, just get opaque if you're worried. :)
Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #5 
DalphiaRose

What are you using to divide the tank? Plastic mesh is awesome, allows water to pass through, and fish can only sometimes see each other.
DalphiaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:08 PM   #6 
LolaQuigs

With decorations, plants, and 12 gallons each, they probably won't be able to see much of each other. I'd go with silicone just to be safe. Sounds like you'll have an amazing setup!
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:18 PM   #7 
BettaObsessed

Smile

Thanks! I'll post a picture when I'm done. I'm using acrylic and I'll probably use 1-2 filters. I have one right now and may buy another one. I have 2 heaters though. Thanks for all your replies and your interest in my tank!
Old 04-03-2015, 12:19 AM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

A filter in each section would be the best for your Betta. That's what I found, anyway, with my acrylic dividers. Can't wait to see pictures!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:49 AM   #9 
BettaObsessed

Okay so I think I have gotten the picture thing sorted out and ta da!
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2015, 09:14 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Very, very nice. Great job!!!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dividing tanks