Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #1 
dorymomory

Exclamation I think Benvolio is dying

Hello everyone!

About 10 minutes ago, Benvolio suddenly started darting all around his bowl, running into things and often swimming on his side or upside down. It seemed like he couldn't tell which way was which. He seemed to be panicking. Now, he's exhausted and laying on the bottom of his bowl panting (or the fish equivalent) with only one gill.

I posted a week or so ago (here)with his sickness, which pataflafla thought might be lymphocytisis. I've been treating him with aquarium salt since then but his lump has gotten bigger. This morning when I went to feed him I noticed he was really bloated and I didn't see any new poop (I've been doing daily 100% water changes), so I skipped the food. When he stopped moving around just now, he settled on the bottom of his bowl upside-down and finally started to poop quite quickly. It looked normal to me.

I think the virus has affected his gills--the ones on the same side as his lump. He's breathing with the other one.

I just did a 100% water change, but he's still looking pretty grim. Any advice? I hate to just leave him to die or get better on his own. Is there anything I can do to help him? :'(

Last edited by dorymomory; 03-05-2012 at 12:31 AM.
dorymomory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #2 
dorymomory

He's trying to get rightside-up now but he can't. Maybe something with his swim bladder?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #3 
dorymomory

RIP to my super hardcore Benvolio. He held on for a long time!

I tossed all of his decorations (I don't know if what he had is infectious). I wanted to keep his bowl, though, in case I get another betta at some point. I scrubbed it with bleach and scalding water--do you guys think that it will be ok to use it again with another fish, or should I toss that too?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #4 
Aus

I'm so sorry about your betta.

I think the bowl would be okay - glass isn't porous and as long as you rinse everything very, very thoroughly, nothing will stick to it after bleach, including the bleach.

But if you are considering another betta some day - why not upgrade to a slightly larger tank and keep the 1g bowl for salt treatments and the like? Your betta will like it, and tank decorating with a little more space is really fun (I just redid my 3.5g, it's so perty..).

Last edited by Aus; 03-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #5 
dorymomory

I will definitely think about doing that! I may have a little bit more space in my apartment next year so I can fit something bigger than a gallon! It would be nice to not have to change the water so often.

Thanks for the condolences! Benvolio lived right next to my desk, and I'm realizing now how often I looked over to watch his antics. I miss that little fish. :(