Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #1 
ZergyMonster

Live Plant Questions.

Hello group of knowledgeable people,

I am going to be creating a sorority tank in my 10 gallon once I find a new home for my gold fish(She is getting too big). I currently have a large block of wood in there with plenty of hiding places and plenty of swimming room. I am looking to get some plants to cover up the sides and make this look more natural.

I was looking at Java Moss but I read that is very hard to get rid of once you get it in there. Also it doesn't really look that appealing. I have my eyes on a couple plants: Anacharis and Anubias. They require little to no light and have a good look to them.

What I would like to know is where would be the best place to get these plants, and do you think that I should look towards a different kind of moss because I know it would make the log look great.

I do have some natural light as well as a hood light and I think that may be too much for these plants but I figure I can just keep the hood light off for most of the day and hide the Anubias under the log to satisfy the no direct sunlight rule.

I don't plan on having high maintenance plants because I don't want to be spending more time working on my plants than my fish.

Thanks for your suggestions and thanks for your time,
-Charles
Attached Images

ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:08 AM   #2 
FishyFishy89

Best site EVER
http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/

Try some Pennyworts too. They do great in low to moderate light and just as hardy as Anacharis.
These are great as well:
Amazon swords
banana plant (not actual bananas xD)
Java ferns
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #3 
ZergyMonster

I've done quite a bit of research, and from what I read Amazon swords are hard to keep in good quality(also require fertilizers). I was thinking of java ferns but I couldn't find a good photo of them to make a decision. As for banana plants, I really don't like the way they look. Thanks for the site it is always nice to know of reputable places to buy stuff.

Edit: After review of Java Ferns, I really likes these. I think I'll buy a few. :)

Last edited by ZergyMonster; 03-05-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #4 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I've done quite a bit of research, and from what I read Amazon swords are hard to keep in good quality(also require fertilizers). I was thinking of java ferns but I couldn't find a good photo of them to make a decision. As for banana plants, I really don't like the way they look. Thanks for the site it is always nice to know of reputable places to buy stuff.
all plants require some amount of fertilizers...some just more than other. I haven't seen nor heard that Amazons are that hard to take care of. Then again I haven't looked into them too much. But they are classified as a beginner plant so it shouldn't be that difficult to take care of. I love my Pennyworts too much ;)
Don't worry, I don't like the banana plants either...just not my kinda plant.
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Why would you want to get rid of java moss? :p Seriously, I love it, and I love the way it looks. My boy Odysseus has never been happier since I added some into his tank - I've made a big cushy mat out of it and he loves to lounge around in it. He looks so funny. :p

I would definitely recommend java fern too. I think it is a very attractive plant despite being everywhere in the hobby. Narrow-leaf java fern (same easy care) is also really lovely and can add a bit of variety.

Here's what I would do with your tank (sorry, I need a mental aquascape escape from my Litigation study!):
- java moss carpet under the rocks and logs
- large java fern in the back right corner to cover up the filter
- a big fat chunk of anacharis or ambulia (cabomba also works) for the back left, allowing it to grow long enough to send some fronds out over the surface
- a short vallisneria or crypt in the front left corner to make the driftwood look like it is peeking out through a forest
- Possibly an anubias tied to the driftwood, though I'm not sure because it looks so nice bare

Thank you for letting me mentally dress your tank. :p
And I'd have one male betta, 4 male Endlers and millions of red cherry shrimp. And maybe a Christmas or java moss wall.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #6 
ZergyMonster

Thanks for the suggestions, I've gotten some ferns and spruced up the corners and put a anubias under the "bridge" of the log with some little stringy plants(forgot their name) around the rocks.

The package said they are low light and easy maintenance so that works with the rest of the plants. They are also really small right now but I am waiting for them to grow before I even think of starting my sorority.

I was looking at the christmas moss too it looked silly. Maybe I just don't like the look of moss... I need to find a place where I can get some anacharis that is local or maybe I'll try that place that was linked up above.

And can you believe I found that log in the forest behind my neighborhood? It fit perfectly and looks great, I had to strap it down with rocks but it is awesome! (Don't worry, I soaked and quarantined the log before I put it in the tank)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

:O How can you not like moss? Blasphemer!! :p

How about moss balls?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #8 
ZergyMonster

sorry to say but I even think the moss balls are ugly... maybe I really don't like moss.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #9 
inareverie85

Amazon Swords definitely grow too large for a 10g..

I'd say for the sort of light you're using, an anubias tank is a great idea. There are many types of anubias, from the petite nanas to the larger species. You can make a hardscape with some driftwood and tie the anubias onto it however you wish.

Just DON'T bury the rhyzome or you'll have a dead plant.

I often buy my own plants from fellow hobbyists on plantedtank.net, but if you want to go through an actual store, I'd recommend freshwateraquariumplants.com
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #10 
ZergyMonster

Thanks for the tip. I purchased some anubias and my goldfish are having a field day pecking at it. I had to put my other live plants somewhere else to actually grow a root system so they wont be plucked from the bottom.