Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #11 
kfryman

I would tie the java fern to the driftwood, maybe some anubias, just remember java fern and Anubias don't like buried rhizomes, the much prefer to be attached to something. To attach you can either use rubberband, string, or fishing line. Once it attaches you can cut whatever it is you put on there.

I would definitely invest in some plant food, API makes a good one called API Leaf Zone, your plants will thrive much better. Just something to remember is a lot if fertilizers use copper, you can check on the company's website to see the ingredients, copper is deadly to shrimp though, so if you are getting shrimp take that into account.

Also remember some plants need more light then others and feed differently. Swords are heavy root feeders, they need those root tabs to keep really healthy they aren't needed though just a recommendation if you will get them. That info goes the same with crypts. Stems will sprout roots above the substrate along the stem if they aren't getting enough nutrition from the substrate. The roots will then get nutrients from the water column. That is why ferts will help some plants while just being okay on others.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #12 
FishyFishy89

So for my new pennyworts I should purchase a florescent blub correct?
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #13 
kfryman

Oh I also forgot to mention, with a banana lily, they need like 2 watts of light a gallon.

I would get a florescent bulb, just get the super daylight one at Petco or Petsmart. Get the one that has 6400-6500k. You will see it on the packaging if you look hard enough. Also make sure to look at what color of light it emits, full spectrum is best if you only have one light bulb.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #14 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Oh I also forgot to mention, with a banana lily, they need like 2 watts of light a gallon.

I would get a florescent bulb, just get the super daylight one at Petco or Petsmart. Get the one that has 6400-6500k. You will see it on the packaging if you look hard enough. Also make sure to look at what color of light it emits, full spectrum is best if you only have one light bulb.
Will do.
Thanks bunches :)
Old 03-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #15 
ZergyMonster

I have settled on buying anubias, anacharis, pennywort and some Java fern/moss (yes I gave-in to moss).

The one thing I want to know is: will the plants that are tied to the driftwood and rocks find a way to cling onto it? or, Will they need to be tied there forever?

I have standard 15watt florescent bulbs and natural lighting so I use the bulbs less because I know that these are mostly low light plants and the natural light will take care of that.

I also purchased some fertilizer by the name of: Flourish, I don't plan on having shrimp but even so this stuff only has a 0.0001% copper content. The directions state that I should use 1mL per 12 gallons once or twice a week, so I use about 15 drops for my 10 gallon every 4 days or so.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #16 
JKhoi

Certain plants can cling onto driftwood eventually, plants that you plan to buy such as anubias, Java fern, and java moss can cling onto drift in time. Just tie them down with some thin fabric string. Eventually that string will wear away and the plants by then will be stuck to your driftwood. :)
JKhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #17 
FishyFishy89

My question is:
The pennywort is low to medium light. My tank's light is on for 12 hours. Is that too much light for the pennywort?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #18 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
My question is:
The pennywort is low to medium light. My tank's light is on for 12 hours. Is that too much light for the pennywort?
It may be... my pennywort doesn't grow at all, and I have high light (4wpg) with DIY CO2, lol. My amazon sword, however, grows like CRAZY. It's getting huge!

Another recommendation: dwarf lily! It's so pretty, easy to grow, and you just have to bury the bulb a bit and it'll grow. :) Adds some color.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #19 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfish View Post
It may be... my pennywort doesn't grow at all, and I have high light (4wpg) with DIY CO2, lol. My amazon sword, however, grows like CRAZY. It's getting huge!

Another recommendation: dwarf lily! It's so pretty, easy to grow, and you just have to bury the bulb a bit and it'll grow. :) Adds some color.
hm
I maybe looking into getting one of those and something else as well.
How fast does the dwarf lily grow?
Old 03-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #20 
kfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
hm
I maybe looking into getting one of those and something else as well.
How fast does the dwarf lily grow?
I would say... moderate to fast. I just went away for 5 days and came back and it had doubled in size with 5 new leaves. Stuff in my tank grows faster than it will in yours, but still a reference. Before I had CO2 it still grew very fast. I would come back after a week and it'd have 3 new shoots to the top of the tank (it shoots up leaves that sit on the surface of the water, in typical lily fashion, while also having leaves on the mid/bottom).
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote