Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #1 
oatsonix

Meet Roger, my new HMPK from Petsmart.

My local Petsmart had dragonscale bettas on sale a week ago, so I got this little guy for only $4.49. =D I'm not sure if he qualifies as a mustard gas as his yellow is quite minimal on his fins. Do you think he's actually a dragon? His scales don't look that thick and there is no split of scales on his forehead like other dragons I have seen. His blue scales however are not present under his lower lip and his chin area.

Name:  DSC_4045.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  30.2 KB
Name:  DSC_4067.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  39.6 KB
Name:  DSC_4099.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  44.8 KB

He's pretty cool and laid back. He lives in a cycled 2.5 gallon tank with filter, heater, java fern, and some anahcharis. His tank mate is a single ghost shrimp whom he gets along with quite well. =)
oatsonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #2 
mattoboy

He's so beautiful! Was cycling your tank hard?
mattoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #3 
oatsonix

Thanks mattoboy!! Was it hard? I wasn't quite sure myself, because I wasn't really trying to cycle it. It sort of just happened. Five months ago, I was quite new to this whole aquarium thing, and just wanted to keep my betta happy in his tank. When I set up the tank, I put my betta in there with some java fern and java moss. After that I just did 30% or 50% water change twice a week, but never 100%. I doubt if there was ammonia level peaking in my tank because, with java moss and fern in there, the water has always been clear and it never had any bacteria bloom either. I didn't have a test kit then. LOL. Two months later I bought one and the first time I tested the water, that tank has already cycled. So, yeah, it sort of just happened, and I am not sure exactly how long it took me to cycle the tank that way. But I can tell you that it's been stable since then. =) Now I only need to do a weekly 30%-50% water change.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 AM   #4 
Luimeril

he's beautiful! he may color up some more as he ages. :V i'm totally jealous of him. i have an HMPK, but he's red, with copper/dragon scales speckled. :B Stephano is my baby, even if he IS my Ma's. xD
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #5 
Karebear13

I got my dragon during that sale too :) Your little guy is so beautiful jealous of his colors
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:38 AM   #6 
Pewmew

so cute!! I love the tiny yellow on him :)
Pewmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #7 
oatsonix

Thanks a lot guys for your comments!! Karebare13, I saw your cutie Mr. Benz in one of your recent posts, and like him very much!!! When it comes to cute factor, it's always hard to compete against a white HMPK with that cute little face and eyes. =D Did you get him from the recent Petsmart sale?

Last edited by oatsonix; 03-05-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: forgot one sentence
Old 03-05-2012, 09:27 AM   #8 
chrissylee13

awww he's gorgeous. he looks like the HMPK i wanted but without the yellow. he's too perfect though!!
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #9 
bettalover2033

His colors are very pretty and 10 rays on him are really nice as well.

To answer your question, yes he would be considered a mustard gas, but a more appropriate undrstanding of is color would be blue, yellow bicolor. And his spread is also pretty wide. Though no he isn't a dragon. Dragons have thicker scales And usually a mask instead of a full bodied color that includes the fin colors as well.

Either way, he is a very pretty HMPK in general!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #10 
Karebear13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatsonix View Post
Thanks a lot guys for your comments!! Karebare13, I saw your cutie Mr. Benz in one of your recent posts, and like him very much!!! When it comes to cute factor, it's always hard to compete against a white HMPK with that cute little face and eyes. =D Did you get him from the recent Petsmart sale?
OMG he has the biggest eyes ever haha and he is marbling so he isn't really white anymore :( bought him because he was white, but still love him and enjoying the color changes :) Yeah I did by him in the recent Petsmart sale
Karebear13 is offline   Reply With Quote