Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #1 
sagejumper

Percy has fin rot ;-;

My blue veil tail Percy is sick! He has fin rot. Here's some facts about my tank and then I'll go into detail.
It's around 2 gallons
It stays at 76 degrees
No heater or filter (im working on that my mom thinks it's unnecessary)
He has lots of entertainment.
I do 50% water changes once a week and I do a 100% every now and then.
So anyay:
I left my house for a few days and someone was feeding my fish for me. Percy was absolutely fine when I left, but when I got back he was all brown and had black tips on his fins. It was pretty obviously fin rot. I gave him a water change and started treating him with bettafix (which I know some don't recommend but many many people I asked did). He looks pretty blue again but his green shine has yet to reappear :(. He still has fin rot. I don't know how long it takes for it to go away and I'm quite worried. If anyone can help that would be great.
sagejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

I know you will be repeating some things but please fill out the sticky at the top of this section: "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING...." and include a photo. To embed click on "Go Advanced" and then click on "Manage Attachments" or the paper clip in the tool bar.

Without the form and a photo we'd be guessing at best. With suspected fin rot the photo is essential since so many misdiagnose fin biting as fin rot. Thank you.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #3 
LizardTheGreat

With a two gallon, you need to be doing water changes at least twice a week. While he has fin rot, I would suggest doing partial water changes daily or every other day. If you have a water tester, you need to check on the ammonia. If you don't have one, get one(not the test strips). If your mom doesn't think the heater/filter are necessary, I suppose you can show her this forum, and if you haven't already offered to pay, do that. That's about as much advice I can give based on the info given. Good luck!

BTW: Is his name from the Percy Jackson books? I love that series :3
LizardTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:38 PM   #4 
philingroovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardTheGreat View Post
With a two gallon, you need to be doing water changes at least twice a week. While he has fin rot, I would suggest doing partial water changes daily or every other day. If you have a water tester, you need to check on the ammonia. If you don't have one, get one(not the test strips). If your mom doesn't think the heater/filter are necessary, I suppose you can show her this forum, and if you haven't already offered to pay, do that. That's about as much advice I can give based on the info given. Good luck!

BTW: Is his name from the Percy Jackson books? I love that series :3
everything he said and add some aquarium salt. its a must.
philingroovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #5 
sagejumper

Yeah! He reminded me of him for some reason :3 and I will do.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu
TFK Moderator

Fin biting and fin rot are not treated the same. In addition, fin rot does not normally develop overnight. It is 99% environmental and the result of long-term filthy habitat.

It's you're choice but without the form and photo all anyone can do is guess at treatment.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #7 
sagejumper

Hey! Sorry I didn't respond. I didn't have internet for a few days. Update: he had black tips of fins. It wasn't raggedy at all and now it's gone. Not really sure if I still need to do anything? I'll fill out the form of you want but idk if I still need to he seems fine now.