Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #11 
Wolfboy51

Do channiode mothers eat the father? After breeding?
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

No, why would they eat the father? They're one of the most peaceful species of betta. They will eat their fry once the male has released them, but I have never seen two adults attack each other.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:41 PM   #13 
Aus

LBF, can a pair be kept happily in a tank together, long-term? Do they breed like rabbits? And what size tank is best for a pair, minimum for comfort (I'm concerned about my ability to keep tanks over 10 gallons or so, for several reasons). I'd love to try keeping wild bettas, and am conscious that breeding is desirable (as opposed to simply having one as a pet) due to their dwindling numbers, but I'm being cautious - I know my limits and the welfare of the fish is more important to me than having them.

My other concern is that the ph on my water sits at about 7 or so - hence the IAL order, I suspect this is what's causing Sid's fin issues. How do you keep it low enough? Is IAL sufficient?

That all said - I've done some reading on them today, and if I'm going to start up with wild bettas, they'd be my choice for sure.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

A male and female can be kept together long-term. They are very peaceful and I used to house my albimarginata (basically same thing) with some native honey blue-eyes.

Personally I prefer a reverse trio, two males to one female, as females are very much capable of breeding males to death.

They do breed like rabbits, which gets old after raising the first few lots. Nothing like daily water changes and hatching BBS. Mine have spawned 4-5 times already but I just left the fry in to get eaten as I ran out of tank space.

I do have 10-12 newly hatched fry in my grow-out at the moment, but this will probably be all I raise.

Channiodes and albis are a lot more prolific in the hobby as they are popular, easy-to-breed and raised commercially now I believe.

Mine live in a 9 gallon tank and I only do 25-30% water changes once every few days. They aren't all that fussy about water parameters, and would probably spawn in a pH of 7.

And sorry to go slightly off topic.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #15 
Wolfboy51

Oh their a betta. I thought you were talking about a fish that breeds by keeping babies in their mouthes. The mother eats the father and the babies stay in the mothers mouth. Lolz
Old 03-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

What species of fish is it that eats the father? I've never heard of that before.

Betta channoides are mouthbrooders. The female passes the eggs to the male and he holds them in his mouth for around 10-14 days and doesn't eat at all during this period.

When the fry are released, they are slightly larger and more developed than fry from bubblenesters (such as Betta splendens). The male will usually spend a few days looking after his fry and then they will go off and do their own thing.

It's quite interesting, particularly when you see the fry moving around in his full mouth.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #17 
Wolfboy51

Im not entirley sure, my dad used to have a big aquarium when he was around 18/19 he said he didnt rememner the name but he said that in order to stop the male eating the babies the female
Would eat the male (he removed the male instead though) or the male would eat the babies. Tge babies would swim into the mothers mouth and thats how ahe carried them.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #18 
Aus

Yes, sorry. I have hijacked the thread a bit.. but this is all really fascinating.

Perhaps we can make a channoides thread some time. I'd certainly enjoy learning more about them. And .. just as a last OT fling .. how long is it 'til those fry would be ready for a new home, LBF?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 AM   #19 
Trin20kau

Aquagreen is another really good Aussie company that ships native fish and plants (and some non native plants). They have an awesome cheap range of ferts too.

I'm putting in an order to Livefish in a couple of weeks to stock my tanks I'm setting up. Can't wait.
Trin20kau is offline   Reply With Quote