Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #11 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Hornwort can be floated or buried I believe. And it grows super fast without needing special nutrients usually.
You could make a larger portion of their diet vegetarian, I remember koimaiden saying it makes them produce less ammonia.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #12 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

If the tank is having a problem with algae or has a kinda old light, growing them floating will produce the best results. Under good lighting my hornwort grows around a foot a week.

Greens are a great way to cut down on ammonia, but they will still need protein from the flakes/pellets. Ammonia is a direct result from the breakdown of proteins by the body (even our bodies produce ammonia). Ideally their meals should consist of 1 part protein to 4 parts greens/veggies. This will help reduce ammonia waste as as they wouldn't be digesting as many proteins but mostly plant matter. Shelled peas, spinach, chopped zucchini, and kale are great vegetables for them. It's also great for their digestion and will help them not munch on your plants as much.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #13 
Tikibirds

I'll see if I can pic up some green for them tomorrow.

Well, at least she LOOKED at the 20G's but then she saw the price online and was like I am not paying $80 for a tank...

We are going shopping tomorrow, I shall drag her to petco.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Even Kijiji sometimes has cheap tanks. Or tanks you could make waterproof (minor cracks can be fixed with proper silicon), which would also be cheaper. However, I've found my area is pretty cheap and giving not sure about yours!

Good luck getting a bigger tank. I've seen comets get up to 2-3 feet in optimum conditions. Fancies get HUGE too.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

Tell her you have to pay $80 for a 5 gallon in Australia. That might put it in perspective a little. :p
I hope she takes your advice!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #16 
Tikibirds

Yeah, they were pretty $$$ In Alaska too. Everything is way more then it is in the rest of the USA and it would seriously make me mad when people were like.."go to walmart and get blah blah blah for $5"..YEAH RIGHT!

Anyways she agreed to it IF i get it for her Birthday gift, which is later this month. Now the problem is my mother, who has the mentality that ITS JUST A FISH, KEEP IT IN A GOLDFISH BOWL
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #17 
GuppyBetta

A tiny bit on the off-topic side, but you know those bowls literally called "Goldfish Bowl" as their brand name? THOSE THINGS ARE 3 INCHES TALL AT THE MOST! And they say, "perfect for one or two goldfish!"

BTW, I'm glad you got your sister to finally get a bigger tank for those goldfish. I hope your mom still lets you get the tank, given her apparent mentality.
GuppyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #18 
Wolfie305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
$1/gallon sale
Totally off topic here, but WHAT!? This is the best deal ever. I wonder if this is going on in MA. My goldfish desperately need a bigger tank.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie305 View Post
Totally off topic here, but WHAT!? This is the best deal ever. I wonder if this is going on in MA. My goldfish desperately need a bigger tank.
Yep! Petcos all around usually have a sale like that every few months. Just keep an eye on your local Petco. It's a great chance to get a larger tank! Just be sure you can get a stand. 1 gallon of water weights about 8 lbs. ^-^

Also tikibirds, I LOVE your avatar! Try showing them this video. It's a 14 inch oranda.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ed7B6ug-wk"]World's BIGGEST Goldfish? - YouTube[/ame]
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #20 
Wolfie305

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Yep! Petcos all around usually have a sale like that every few months. Just keep an eye on your local Petco. It's a great chance to get a larger tank! Just be sure you can get a stand. 1 gallon of water weights about 8 lbs. ^-^
This is so great!! My neighbor is the district manager of PetCo, I'll ask him when the next sale is!
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote