Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #41 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Oh my. I guess that's why people say not to put in gravel that can fit in their mouth? Btw doesn't your tank have gravel, Tiki?
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:16 AM   #42 
Tikibirds

Its her birthday today and she would like a 20 gallon setup but my mother is the problem. I kept telling grace that she would never notice the difference between a 20G tall and a 10G. It took her 2 months to notice the 3 fish I arrived with has turned into 9. Petco has a complete one for $58 with a pals card.

I had a airstone and small pump that came with a 1 gallon and added it in, see if it makes a difference.

The smaller one isn't doing so well. It just lays on the bottom with its mouth and gills moving. Sometimes it swims but then it floats back down. Too long in improper conditions? I did a small WC and gravel sipon and tested the old water. Ammonia 1.0, 0 nitrite. Shouldn't this tank be cycled by now or at least onto the nitrite part? Does prime kill it?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:18 AM   #43 
Tikibirds

Yeah, it has gravel. The larger fish could probably fit it in its mouth. Is sand better or larger rocks?
Old 03-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #44 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Ammonia 1.0 is extremely toxic and is killing the fish.
The need for LARGE water changes every day not small ones, is a MUST. There is a possibility that the tank may never cycle simply because the bioload is too large with too little room for good bacteria to establish.
Ammonia once present acts quickly on the fishes gill and while it may not show immediate signs of distress, the damage caused is already reducing its lifespan.

If you can get a larger tank, then it would help immensely. The substrate does not really matter, it is personal choice, sand given the large amount of waste though, would likely look horrible and would need vacuuming almost daily.

If you can get a larger filter, then it will make a difference, you can always add a piece of filter floss to the output to slow the flow down.
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #45 
Tikibirds

Quote:
If you can get a larger tank, then it would help immensely.
I have been trying for 3 years to get her to upgrade...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #46 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I have been trying for 3 years to get her to upgrade...
When I upgraded my 55g tank to a 75g tank, I did it when my parents where out the house many years ago.

Took about an hour to change it over, I hid the tank at my neighbours garage until mine went out. Then changeover time, it would as you mentioned look no different really other than slightly taller.

The extra room though would help a lot.

Just a thought...
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #47 
Tikibirds

Im almost positive she would never notice the difference but what worries the most is how much the tank will weight. Im not sure one of those crappy metal/plastic computer desks can handle the weight and thats what the 10 gallon is on now.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-27-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #48 
thekoimaiden

I would be worried about the weight, too. A 20 gal tank holds close to 200 lbs in water. That would not be a fun sight all over the floor. Is there another sturdy piece of furniture you could replace it with? A good wooden desk? I, too, support switching the tanks when your mother isn't around.

Actually if you want to rig the bubble stone into a bubble filter that will oxygenate the water as well as provide more surface area for BB to grow.

As for the gravel, it is fine. Some people have reported goldfish choking to death on small gravel, but this is only large goldfish. Yours will be fine. Just one final note about the gravel, make sure it is less than 2 inches deep. Any deeper and without regular gravel vacs you could get anaerobic pockets. If you had a more powerful filter you could also go bare-bottom to make sucking up waste easier.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #49 
Tikibirds

A bubble filter? Is that the same as a sponge filter? I've been looking for them but I never see them in stores. Only online.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #50 
thekoimaiden

Yep. It's the same thing. I've never seen them in stores around here, either. But I have seen youtube videos that describe how to build one from simple stuff that you can find in most pet stores. I can post it, if you like.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote