Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #51 
Tikibirds

I did another 50% water change and lowered the water so the filter make more bubbles but the smaller fish really is not doing well I used stress coat instead of prime this time. I don't think there is much else i can do for it. From the videos on youtube i watched of other goldfish, the mouth movement seems normal for the larger one. But the smaller one is just laying lethargically on the floor with both rapid gill and mouth movement.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #52 
thekoimaiden

I'm sorry, but things aren't sounding good for the smaller one. Years of poor water quality are probably catching up to her. Also, I can't remember if you told us but what is the pH of the tank? Acidic pH and soft water also cause stress on goldfish, and if the pH is low this could be compounding with your poor water quality issues.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 PM   #53 
Tikibirds

I have no idea what the PH is. I thin its hard water if that helps any?

I went in there just now and it was dead. Naturally she threw a hissie fit saying "THEY WERE FINE AND YOU KILLED HIM". Ummm, NO. I TOLD you what is happening and they needed a bigger tank and what happens when you never change the water. YOU said they have been in there for years just fine.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #54 
thekoimaiden

Hard water is great. Goldfish do better in hard water, and the pH is more stable. In an uncleaned tank is soft water pH has a tendency to crash and crash hard.

I'm terribly sorry you lost the little one. There really isn't much that can be done if your family isn't willing to upgrade to a larger tank. I was wondering if the death of a fish would bring them around, but I'm sad to see that it hasn't.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #55 
Tikibirds

Quote:
I was wondering if the death of a fish would bring them around, but I'm sad to see that it hasn't.
Nope, They were both fine till I changed the water. Nevermind the ammonia level was too high I didn't really think it would make a difference to either of their mentalities since she originally had FIVE goldfish in there and 3 of them died for aparently no reason.

You'll never guess what she plans on buying tomorrow

Neither of them should ever have animals. Well, my sister just shouldn't have fish. She takes perfect care of her cats. My mother on the other hand should never have access to ANY animal. She will not take proper care of them and is too high matience to have them. If she even sees a dog hair on the floor she goes ballistic. One dog is blind and diabetic, she refused to take care of it for almost a year. She finally got her on insulin shots but the dog drinks so much she always has to pee and my mother is unwilling to get up and let her out, so sometimes the dog goes on the floor and then my mother goes even more ballistic. THIS was a big part of the reason why I stayed far, far away from her for 12 years.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-28-2012 at 02:32 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 AM   #56 
Bombalurina

Perhaps it was the shock of good water quality that just tipped a goldfish already suffering over the edge? I've heard of this happen before with bettas - someone rescues a betta that lived 5 years in a bowl of crud, and dies because a clean from someone who cares is too much for it to handle.

Is there any way you can talk her out of buying another goldfish?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #57 
thekoimaiden

Bomba is right. Rapidly changing water parameters (even if it is for the better) will kill a fish.

Oh my god... I don't blame you for trying to put a continent between you and your mother. You are one strong soul for dealing with her.

You could try to convince your sister by telling her a new goldfish will likely bring in diseases that will kill both of goldfish. Or just steal the tank from her room. The most malicious thing to do would be wait until the other goldfish dies and then put a crack in the tank. I doubt she would be willing to buy another tank to have more fish.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #58 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I like koimaiden's idea for if the other one died lol.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #59 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Is there any way you can talk her out of buying another goldfish?
No but I was so close to getting her to get a 15 gallon. She was gonna get a tetra something or other 15 gallon kit and I was gonna take her 10 gallon since mine got dumped when I left Alaska and I got 2 poor bettas waiting for a proper home (ie, not a storage container). The sign said it was on sale for $50 and I told her I would pay for 1/2 of it and a live plant or two. we went to pay and it rang up $89 . I ended up getting an Aquenon deluxe kit for $30 for my guys instead.

We might go back and get it tomorrow. Looking at it, it does not look any bigger then the 10 gallon and there is no way my mother will be able to tell the difference.

Is there anything that can go with the goldie in a 15? Im trying to prevent her from comming home with a Koi or something.

Quote:
Oh my god... I don't blame you for trying to put a continent between you and your mother. You are one strong soul for dealing with her.
The woman drives me nuts. Im not sure what her problem is, but it's getting worse, whatever it is. I spent most of my childhood with my grandparents (my dad went over every day to work on cars and such and they only lived like 10 miles away anyways) so I don't know is she was always so bitter and lazy or if she got that way after they divorced in '92 or if its just old age -she turned 60 this year.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-29-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #60 
thekoimaiden

I think a 15 gal and a 10 gal have basically the same footprint and that the 15 gal is just taller. Your mother will hardly know the difference.

As for a tankmate... nothing that is really suitable. Plants? A marimo ball? Basically anything that isn't a plant is going to contribute to the ammonia load which is bad in such a small space. Have you ever seen those glass fish that float using a string attached to a bubble? Those would be best, lol. In all seriousness, a 15 gal is to small for a goldfish let alone something else. I think your best bet is to try to keep her at one goldfish. Also remind her that bringing in new fish to an established tank has the rather large chance to bring in disease.