Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #1 
Shirleythebetta

human needs dog training

I need a bit of a vent at the moment. My husband just came home from work heated because of a story about a dog he heard at work. We are major dog lovers and this made me want to smack this lady.
Her husband bought a dog for them, a purebred Black labrador for $1,200 dollars and had him fixed and put through obedience school. The poor man came to work desperate to find this dog a home and of course, since everyone knows we are dog lovers he went to my husband first and let out his feelings about the situation in hopes that we could take him. I already have three furry monsters who have control of my house, lol. One weighs 65 pounds. I couldn't have another big dog. I'd be crazy. well, crazier...
His wife told him after he spent all that money that the dog now has to go or she was going to drop him off at the pound because he is disobedient. What she calls disobedient is the dog got out of his bed and walked over to his water bowl and got a drink, the dog then looked out the front door window and went back to sleep. The dog apparently has to ask permission to get a drink of water? This woman has some issues. I like what another guy who works with them said. He said that he ought to go to his wife and tell her SHE is no longer allowed to get a drink or get out of bed without his permission and see how she likes being thirsty. Luckily my husband talked a really nice man at the workplace into taking the poor pooch. Oh my goodness, When I think about how many humans should have to pass an intelligence course before owning a dog....
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #2 
sparkyjoe

Wow, that's ridiculous!

I had a Standard Poodle for 11yrs and don't know a lot about Labs but I know they are notorious for eating/swallowing bizarre objects. I also know that they are HUNTING DOGS, so need regular exercise. I think Labs also frequently keep their "puppy-ness" well after other dogs have matured and settled down.

For that crazy woman to complain about a dog who is apparently being a mature, settled dog is outrageous. Eating the couch, leaping on guests, soiling in the house, etc. are reasons to *possibly* be frustrated, but at yourself for not giving proper training, not at the dog for being a DOG!

Sigh. I miss my crazy SPoo boy. :(
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #3 
Aus

Quote:
Oh my goodness, When I think about how many humans should have to pass an intelligence course before owning a dog....

... or choosing a spouse.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #4 
Inga

Aw, the poor dog sounds like a doll. I hope he finds a great home. It sounds like a dog from Bench lines and they are often much much less hyper then a hunting lines dog. I wish I could take him, I wouldn't keep him as I don't need a Labrador or any breed other then a Rottweiler but I would love to find him the home he deserves, not let him with this fruit cake of an owner.
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I really really wish that all people had to have to have licenses to own any kind of animal, including fish and stick insects. I don't care what it do to the pet industry. It would be worth it to prevent cruetly, neglect (whether deliberate or through ignorance) and abandonment. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

I agree with you all. My experience with labs though has been amazing. I don't have one currently. My pooch list is border terrier mix, basset/beagle mix and a aussie shepard/collie mix. I grew up with labs. One was a nut lol who liked to drink french fry oil and barf all over the house and the other is a mellow beauty. They are one of my favorite breeds but my house is full. I do believe the husband helped the poor man out and helped him find this beautiful boy a home. I do wonder how this guy got mixed up with such a nasty minded woman. I don't get how you could think that the poor animal has to ask your permission to get a drink. I pity their children if they ever had any. I could see her putting a kid up for adoption for going to the bathroom without asking. aweful. The outlook is good for this fella though. The guy that is making plans to take him is very sweet from what my husband thinks of him. The hubby is going to be there for the guy though because he has apparently never owned a dog and has no kids so could be an issue. If worse comes to worse I will make room for him and rehome him. *sigh* he would have to join my butterball puppys and get spoiled to death. For instance, my doggys own the couch and they sleep in a king sized bed with me. :)
Old 03-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
... or choosing a spouse.
Ha ha ha! So very true

I'm glad that the dog found a good home. What a witch!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #8 
Shirleythebetta

Yep, the nice man my husband talked to took him home! good ending. I do think we are going to keep ourselves available in case he can't handle it. To me this dog sounds great. I mean how often are you going to get a dog that is fixed, trained and a purebreed?
Old 03-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #9 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
Yep, the nice man my husband talked to took him home! good ending. I do think we are going to keep ourselves available in case he can't handle it. To me this dog sounds great. I mean how often are you going to get a dog that is fixed, trained and a purebreed?
And an all around love sponges with tails of terror
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #10 
revolutionrocknroll

Ask permission for a drink? Sounds like she has some power control issues. Or maybe she was watching Cesar Millan. I feel bad for her husband.
Idiot.
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote