Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #1 
Kiere

Exclamation Worried!!! Treatment Ineffective?!

I noticed 2 days ago that Neptune wasn't using one of his ears but couldn't find any cause and otherwise he was acting normal. The next day, (yesterday) I did see a small amount of cottony fluff on the ear and immediately put him in jar for treatment with Jungle fungus eliminator treatment thinking this would nip it in the bud since he was still acting pretty normal if anything a little less active then normal. Today the cottony substance seemed to have grown overnight under his gills and larger on his ear so today I started aq salt treatment. He seems to be getting worse clamped fins, not swimming, and loss of color. Is there anything else I can be doing?! attached are pictures...

cotton on ear

cotton under the belly
Kiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #2 
Kiere

pretty sure it is Columnarissince he isn't responding to the treatments. I am going to change his water again but use 2 tablespoons per gallon of aq salt in combination with the Jungle fungus eliminator... I don't think he is going to make it though
Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #3 
kfish

Columnaris is shown to respond to aquarium salt in concentrations of 2.5 tsp/gallon and higher. With bettas, I wouldn't go much higher than 3.5-4 tsp/gallon, working up to that point. I hope you mean 2 teaspoons/gallon, not tablespoons. But, if he's used to 2 tsp, I'd up it to 3.

Don't keep the fish in salt for more than 10-14 days.

"You can see from the diagram that the best results were achieved at a dose of 3000 milligrams per liter; based on the weight of salt this converts .67 teaspoons per liter or 2.54 teaspoons per gallon. Please keep in mind that this amount of salt is not meant for long term use.

A dip or bath in Mebromin, Potassium Permanganate , Methylene Blue (not to be confused with malachite green) has also helped speed cure for my fish. Although often hard to find Potassium Permanganate is my first choice over Methylene Blue (which is still effective, especially when combined with salt in this bath).
With Methylene Blue or Potassium Permanganate I prepare a double strength bath and place the fish in this solution for 30 minutes). I strongly recommend this bath as a FIRST course of action. Please see this article for more about Baths:
“Fish Baths, Dips, Direct Treatment Applications”

Many fish diseases, it should be noted, are caused by different bacterial or fungal pathogens that often exhibit similar symptoms, so identification of a specific bacterial or fungal pathogen is not usually possible from mere visual inspection of the symptoms on the fish. By using broad-spectrum treatments such as a Furan Two/ Kanamycin combination against diseases with similar symptoms affecting fish, precise identification of specific bacterial or fungal pathogens causing the disease that often display similar symptoms may not be absolutely necessary."

Source: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 
Kiere

yes I meant teaspoons, this morning the water was at 1tsp/g I just raised it to 2tsp/g in combo with the Jungle. That was about a 1/2 hour ago, he still looks pretty rough... He is pretty stressed with all the water changes so I'll wait another 1/2 hour to bump up the salt concentration to 3tsp/g.

I unfortunately do not have the potassium permanganate or methylene blue on hand and I am left without a car until six. I doubt the pet stores that will be open then (petsmart and petco) probably won't have that but I will call to see what I can find out.

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 
Kiere

called all the petsores in town none of them carry either : / He is in his cup now for easier breathing, I will just up his salt with the combo of the jungle and hope for the best...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #6 
Kiere

Since I raised the salt in combo with the jungle he has seemed a little perkier and is still alive, so that is good...

I found where I can get some Potassium Permanganate and will pick it up tomorrow if he makes it through the night.

I have a do have a question though, in my reading it says
that water conditioners like prime (which I use) should not be used in combination with Potassium Permanganate since the agent that neutralizes the chlorine also neutralizes the potassium permanganate so how would I make the water safe for the bath exactly?

Next question, if my fish lives or I end up having to get a new fish what should be my plan of attack for the tank? It has quite a few live plants I would like to keep alive... or is that not an option?
Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #7 
Kiere

Still alive! But still looking crappy... if my attempts at curing him are futile I would please love someone to tell me because I hate to see him suffer..

This is what he looked like last night

This morning some of the fuzz has fallen off his ear but his gills/head area is defiantly swollen.. He is still not eating thinking I will pick up some blood worms while I'm out getting the PP. anyway this is what he looked like this morning

Still would appreciate any answers!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #8 
Thomasdog

My old baby, Luna, had the same thing. I did not get it in time and she passed away in 10 days... hoping you much better luck and a quick, full, recovery.
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #9 
Kiere

I don't know if I can handle watching him slowly die for ten days... Hopefully the pp bath will save him...
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #10 
Silverfang

The evil C can be very difficult to cure, but it is not impossible! IV had a girl I've been treating for close to three weeks. It took ten days of salt, doses of two different meds, and daily WCs to get the fuzzies to start to vanish. Poor dear is cold, I was concerned about the heat making it worse. Tonight she gets to try out the heater.

Its not easy, I lost at least four girls to this horrible disease. It is possible, so don't loose hope!
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote