Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #11 
OMGemily

Quote:
Cute boy you have..
thank you :) i think he looks kind of like Dory from Nemo haha i love his yellow fins (which have gotten brighter since i got him!)

Quote:
How can i help his fins grow back?
...If more are missing since Friday, most likely he is biting his own fins ... or the filter isn't baffled and the current is causing his fins to feel heavy and drag.
is he able to bite his anal fin? also i havent gotten around to baffling the filter just yet so i dont keep it on

Should i get more plants?
Should i have a substrate?
Quote:
Should i clean the substrate if i do get it?
More plants and hiding places may make him feel more secure and not so exposed, and will reduce his stress and help him adjust faster.
he used to hide on the suction cup behind the heater so im assuming this is what he was doing. i think im going to get a mug from the kitchen and rinse it thoroughly and let him hide in there :)
Quote:
Is the not eating/somewhat laziness due to still getting accustomed?
Possibly- but have to keep in mind that since we don't know the history of fish we buy at stores, we don't know if they come with illnesses. Also keep in mind the breeders don't always feed their betta a day or two prior to shipping, and a lot of stores won't feed them, or feed very very little, while they are on the shelf to help reduce the risk of the water going too bad before being purchased.. so between the stress of the moving, and moving into a larger home they have the added stress of not eating regularly, so sometimes their systems have to get back into the "habit" of eating once more and looking for food.
The lethargy could be due to stress and feeling exposed.
i fed him right after i got him home after the 30 minute car rideand he ate a pellet but it was like 2 fused together so he spit it back out cuz im guessing it was too big and he hasnt eaten since then, im pretty sure hes not sick right now though, because when i come up to his tank he darts around, although that could be because hes stressed or scared but ill keep watching for signs

Quote:
Hope this helps and answers some of your concerns :)
it helped immensely! :) thank you so much for answering all of my questions :) this forum has been so helpful with my fish so far!
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #12 
OMGemily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Re-read it, sorry.. it could be dirt/dust if the tank wasn't properly cleaned before setting it up- generally want to use an aquarium sponge to scrub it before you set it up.

How long has the tank been set up?
Did it just pop up or was it there since you set it up?
How long do you keep your lights on in the tank, in case it's brown algae (which is common in newly set up tanks as they are trying to establish a cycle).
hmmm i think maybe 4 or 5 days. i didnt notice it until i took the gravel out when i changed the water after my last fish passed away, and i keep the light on all the time

EDIT: also i didnt clean the tank before i filled it up... should i empty it and do that?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #13 
Myates

You are welcome :) I love the people here too.. have some great members!

As for your question, yes they can get to their anal fins.. one of mine who I had to "time out" from his new neighbor boy recently went back to his old trick of biting his fins.. has a couple nice large U shapes missing from only his anal fin. He hates it when he doesn't see either me or another fish for any length of time. He starts to eat his fins.. but yet he is constantly flaring when I allow him to see a neighbor. Luckily the ones I switch out and put next to him tend to ignore him most of the time. (He is constantly next to me at my desk, have a long counter running next to me against the wall where I line up all the tanks, and I switch out the one immediately next to Xander's when doing a water change so I can see them for a bit.. but Xander is my old man and favorite, so he's always the first one in line next to me.. he just gets grumpy from time to time.

I think they most likely lay on the bottom, or in a cave, possible curved some.. and when the anal fin is laying on the bottom of the tank, they can turn just enough to grab it. But I would definitely keep an eye on it just in case rot comes- look for black to very dark red in color with it seeming to "flake" off, and is a little crusty... you can also look for the fungal form of it, which will be white puffs at the edges.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #14 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGemily View Post
hmmm i think maybe 4 or 5 days. i didnt notice it until i took the gravel out when i changed the water after my last fish passed away, and i keep the light on all the time

EDIT: also i didnt clean the tank before i filled it up... should i empty it and do that?
Most likely it's dirt that you didn't see.. tanks tend to collect a lot of dust when sitting empty. Since you haven't turned the filter on, I would do that now before you start the cycle process.
BUT reading back on it, it looks as if it was going prior and you removed the gravel. If that is the case, then it's probably debris and waste particles left by the other fish/gravel.. I would clean it out still, especially if you want to go bare bottom.

Keeping the light on all the time can be bad for a few different reasons- you will grow algae.. sometimes some algae is good to have, but there are some pesky ones you don't want, such as the brown algae.. and the more the light is on, the greater the chances of growing it.
Also, fish need a day/night cycle just like us.. they need time to rest to recharge their bodies.. otherwise it's a lot of stress for the fish, and in the end, the overall health will be deminished and therefor their life span shortened. Like all animals, they need time to "sleep".
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #15 
OMGemily

huh, i never knew they could reach there. Xander sounds pesky and cute :D haha i think Antione has a pretty spunky personality when he shows it. i had the filter on for about 24 hours before putting St. Jimmy in and about 24 hours between him and Antione and also overnight after changing the water/gravel (Antione was floating in his cup) ill probably clean it tomorrow. my mom wasnt awake last time i changed it so hopefully she wont yell at me for using too much water haha and i knew they rested but i guess i never thought about the light. are they okay with being in total darkness or should i turn the light of during the day with curtains closed?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #16 
Myates

You can keep the light on during the day, or use natural light- either way you want it. You can keep the light on for a good chunk at night too if you wish. The only time I keep mine in total darkness (or close to it) is at night at bedtime- which for them is generally around 11pm.

It depends on your schedule too- how late you stay up. I would say as long as they have a good 5-6 hours in the dark then that should be fine for them.

I tend to keep my lights on for around 10-11 hours, sometimes a bit longer, and sometimes during the day I'll turn them off for an hour or two to give them some natural light and a bit of rest time if they had a busy day of flaring/cleaning.
Otherwise, I wouldn't keep the lights on for more then 12 hours straight.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #17 
OMGemily

ok thanks :) i usually go to bed around 9 or 10 and get up around 6 or 7 so ill probly leave the light off then. thanks for helping me out with all this i appreciate it! :)
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #18 
Myates

You're welcome! One more tip- I'm heading off myself too- I would turn the tank light off about 20-30 minutes before you go to bed, leaving your room light on, or a light in the room on, until you go to bed- that way it won't stress him out going from light to sudden blackness. He will get used to settling down when he sees the lighting gets dimmed.

Good luck!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #19 
OMGemily

i sure will! thanks :)
Old 03-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #20 
iceyrose

Fin rot kinda looks like burnt fryed fins and black particals can be found in the tank. I reasontly had this issue . Even thoug I had been changing water out and adding contioner . Do u have a ph test? I picked a ph test up that's a liquid test ph was in the 8.2+ range he also had cloudy eyes and fins where singed looking. After I balanced it out useing spring water because fauset water ph is around 8.2+. Even with conditons. Aquarium salt + stress coast have helped he still looks sick. Some meds even for ick are best at half dose. The aquarium salt is not the same as table salt. 1\2 teaspoon for 1 gallon+ neacco responded best with 1\2 of a half gallon in the 2.5 gallon tank.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote