Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #21 
OMGemily

i just recently got my water tested and pH was like 7.2 but i dont think hes got fin rot hes just missing a couple rays so im afraid he might get it
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #22 
iceyrose

Stress coat and aqurium salt help wilth mild cases of fin rot just for future inquirerys.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:42 AM   #23 
ao
TFK Moderator

If you dont mind funny colired water, some tannins like IAL will help speed healing, Im using roobis tea until my IAL arrives, ive heard decaf green tea works well too.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #24 
iceyrose

What's ur bettas name? What's going on? The api aquarium salt & api stress coat dosnt really turn any certain colors...what product have u used that changed the water color? I know the ick meds change the water color.
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #25 
Myates

I think aokashi was referring to creating the color- natural tannins whether it be from dried oak leaves, IAL or even driftwood will discolor the water of the tank- which bettas tend to prefer. Decaf teas will only slightly discolor the water (when done appropriately), but they don't provide any of the same benefits as IAL or oak leaves..

icey, you are trying to help and that is a great thing, but would like to mention that when giving info on usage of AQ salt, you may want to make sure to give all the information needed- AQ salt is used for specific external ailments, normally 1-2 tsp per gallon, 3tsp being the max.. would need to do daily 100% water changes adding in the salt each time, and for a time of no longer then 14 days maximum.. 10 days being the recommended. AQ salt can hamper the growth of the fins, Stress Coat is said to grow fins- but I find that a good diet, keeping up on your water changes, a nice warm temp of 80*F is more effective.
Stress Coat isn't a bad thing to use- have been using it for years now from time to time when I do a water change- add in a couple drops to help keep them a little more calm, but I use it with my normal conditioner since Stress Coat lacks what I prefer in a conditioner.

7.2 is a good pH range for your betta.. you don't want to try to mess with the pH of your water- as fluctuations could shock/kill the betta.. rather to let them adjust on their own.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote