Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #11 
OMGemily
Member
 
OMGemily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
You are right. It is fine to not have a filter if you do 100% water changes weekly. However, it is very dangerous to improperly use a filter. You can either have a tank with no filter or have a tank with a filter on 24/7. You can't have a tank with a filter you turn off and on. It has to be one or the other. If you don't want to run the filter continously, then take it out of the set up all together. If you want to use a filter, but the flow is too high, then baffle it.
i didnt realize that was bad, i only turned it on twice when i didnt have fish in the tank. but if you dont mind me asking, why is it bad?
EDIT: just read the previous comment about beneficial bacteria dying. im still curious to whether or not thats the only thing that happens though?

Quote:
Edit: I should mention that I have a HOB filter. If you have a canister filter, then you baffle the intake with aqaurium sponge by cutting a piece big enough to cover all the grates and holding it in place with a rubber band. The water bottle baffle still works for both.
what are hob and canister filters?

Last edited by OMGemily; 03-07-2012 at 07:11 PM.
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:13 AM   #12 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
1) you do not need a filter if you keep up with water changes

Quote:
water levels were poisonous. If you don't believe, try drinking a glass of that water and you'll see my point very clearly, when you won't be able to decide what you wanna do with the toiet for a week; to either sit on it or hug it?!
2) although .5 ammonia isn't good, I highly doubt it would of killed your betta. Almost all the bettas I have adopted (and at one point I had 23 at one time), their ammonia levels in their cups were at least a 1.0. Most were 4.0 or higher.
Plus a fish suffering from ammonia poising does not turn rust colored.

How long have you had him?

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-08-2012 at 03:17 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #13 
OMGemily
Member
 
OMGemily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
2) although .5 ammonia isn't good, I highly doubt it would of killed your betta. Almost all the bettas I have adopted (and at one point I had 23 at one time), their ammonia levels in their cups were at least a 1.0. Most were 4.0 or higher.
Plus a fish suffering from ammonia poising does not turn rust colored.

How long have you had him?
petsmarts little test paper thing said they were all withing normal range but at the very top of it. i had him for four days... about a day and a half in a one gallon unheated tank, and then the rest in a 5.5 gallon heated tank with plants... my new betta Antione ive had for about a week now and hes happy as can be :) although hes had a few slight troubles with eating
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #14 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
Im guessing he was sick when you got him. Alot of times they may look healthy but then you get them home and they die a day or so latter. I think alot has to do with stress from shipping and lack of care by petco/petsmart/walmart. Plus if they dont change their water, ammonia builds up quickly. The water may look clean, but obviously it's not.

Paper tests aren't very accurate and they are hard to read. Half the time I couldn't even tell what color it was supposed to be. If you can get the ammonia test kit by API, it's helpful to have. If not, not a big deal, unless you have a filter running.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #15 
Tikibirds
Member
 
Tikibirds's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Warrensburg, NY
Im guessing he was sick when you got him. Alot of times they may look healthy but then you get them home and they die a day or so latter. I think alot has to do with stress from shipping and lack of care by petco/petsmart/walmart. Plus if they dont change their water, ammonia builds up quickly. The water may look clean, but obviously it's not.

Paper tests aren't very accurate and they are hard to read. Half the time I couldn't even tell what color it was supposed to be. If you can get the ammonia test kit by API, it's helpful to have. If not, not a big deal, unless you have a filter running.

what issues does the new guy have with eatting? Does he spit it out? If so, that's pretty normal.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 AM   #16 
Sena Hansler
Member
 
Sena Hansler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: CANADA
litmus paper is bogus. sorry, but humidity, accidental water damage and age can all benefit to a wrong reading. i use API master kit, liquid tests that are very accurate with helpful cards.

also, most store bettas I got came from water that was minimum .5 (up to 1.0) for ammonia. Only the really weak ones with no color lacked the chance to survive (Admiral). Others were rotted away (Sarah and Suzi) so they never had a chance either.

However, he does look very similar to what Maine looked... usually happens overnight, with the look of someone taking a lighter to the fish's fins. Later it continues, leaving decayed fins, and even reaching the body where the scales remain and the tissue is completely dead.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #17 
OMGemily
Member
 
OMGemily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
im pretty sure they used the API thing to test it. i just meant the papers that told about the chemicals and stuff and that they wrote the readings on
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #18 
OMGemily
Member
 
OMGemily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
what issues does the new guy have with eatting? Does he spit it out? If so, that's pretty normal.
he only goes after the pellets when they sink, but i think theyre too big for him to eat because sometimes he spits them out and tries again and then he kind of flicks his head up for a bit, like hes trying to swallow and then cough it back up and swallow it again. but when i give him flakes he doesnt acknowledge them :/ i tried sinking the flakes and he chased them once but them spit it back out and didnt eat them again after that. ive also tried cutting the pellets with my nails to make them smaller but he hasnt even tried eating them
OMGemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #19 
iceyrose
Member
 
iceyrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: mn
* sorry for ur loss that's terrible (Rip little buddy)
Ps.I had a guys being mean to me yesterday too grrr
iceyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.