Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM   #1 
Shirleythebetta

need an opinion

I have started making my own decorations. I need to know what everyone's opinions are on using a hot glue gun. I have not done it yet of course and I am going to be using aquarium safe silicone instead but I am curious if anyone has used hot glue. Oh great news! My mother-in-laws betta will be graduating from a three gallon to my spare ten gallon hopefully this month! Yea!
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #2 
registereduser

http://www.rcreptiles.com/forum/about2077.html
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

I'm not sure of it myself, but I've read some forums say the glue is toxic in it's liquid state, but safe when it hardens and I've also read other forums talking about using hot glue guns to glue together coral in their saltwater tanks with success..... I suppose just make sure the glue sticks are non-toxic and if you get super ambitious with it, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-melt_adhesive and see what the glue sticks are made out of. Once you do that, check to see if the ingredients are toxic and/or can leak into water and become toxic.... It's a bit of work, but imo well worth the effort and great knowledge to add to your own research.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

thanks I am going to look into this whole hot glue thing a little further out of curiousity. I also saw a few people say that hot glue crumbles after long water exposure. I wonder if that is why after a while cheap fake plants will come apart.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

Huh... Haven't come across any comments about glue crumbling, but it just shows how little information is circling around about hot glue; which in my opinion you'd think there'd be more about it... buuuut that's just me, apparently >.>.... But yeah, it makes sense, 'cause I've had this one hollow tree thing for a years and some of the little fake plants attached are slowly falling off ;__;.. and it looks like they've been glued on with hot glue....
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #6 
ZergyMonster

I bought a small silk plant that was held onto a weight with hot glue, it seems fine inside a tank and it fell apart quite quickly but I can always just attach it again.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

Yea I'm kinda wondering more and more about that. I need to investigate what they use to hold these plants together..... hmmm....