Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2012, 03:39 AM   #1 
DeviCy

Exclamation My Betta fish refuses to eat

Over the past 1-2 weeks (I'm unsure exactly how long) Aries (My Betta fish) has stopped eating. I never bothered to check if he ate, but last week I noticed food at the bottom of his tank. At first I just assumed he missed the pellets I cleaned it out and watched the next time I fed him and he refused to touch his food. I tried again with one pellet several times over the last few days to get him to eat placing them right in front of him etc... His scales on one side have a whitish hue to them instead of his normal crimson red, his fins look fine no abnormal shredding or coloring but he does look bloated. He is sluggish and sits at the top of his tank all day hardly moving, but does if startled swim very quickly and thrash his fins excitedly. He also will not attack his own reflexion any more. I moved him into my living room a month ago so everyone could enjoy him. He has not made a bubble nest in a about a week, and I have not seen him poop in just as long. He has a one gallon tank specifically made for Betta's no filters I do everything by hand. I have a heater and keep his tank fairly constant and always between 70-80 usually 76-78 and there has been no change in his temperature. He does have one live plant in his bowl that I recently purchased within 3-4 weeks I've or take and I'm wondering if thats the problem he seems to enjoy it though and sleeps in it alot. I'm not sure what else I can say, please help me save him he was a gift from my sister and I love him very much I would be very sad if he died.
DeviCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Answer as many as you can, it will help us figure out whats wrong.
Hopefully someone will pop in to help ya.

Quote:
Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #3 
DeviCy

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75-76 on average
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None and we have no other fish in the house

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bio Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice daily once in the morning and once when i go to sleep he is on my schedule which is a 9am and an 11 pm usually give or take

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? at least twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% as well as a thorough cleaning
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add Betta conditioner by Aqueon, the water is a filtered water, but I don't take chances.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a whitish hue on one side and is bloated.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is sluggish and spends alot more time at the surface it almost looks like he's gasping for air. He also has not pooped in at least a week.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago I was sure a week before that I was suspicious
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have changed water more often and done more thorough cleaning of his plants. I have yet to do anything else he's my first Betta.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of.
How old is your fish (approximately)I've had him for 4 months he was fully grown when I received him.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #4 
DeviCy

Oh he's also been blowing bubble and making loud popping noises when he does not sure if thats normal or not, but he's never been this loud before. I went out and purchased a new tank and heater for him about 2 weeks after I got him because he was cold and wouldn't eat back in december when I first got him, after he got warm he was perfectly fine and normal and very vibrant.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Do you have a picture?

Quote:
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a whitish hue on one side and is bloated.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is sluggish and spends alot more time at the surface it almost looks like he's gasping for air. He also has not pooped in at least a week.
I have no idea. I know for bloating, usually the first course of action is fasting but you said he hasn't eatten in a week? Epsom salt is the 2nd thing to try but with his other sympoms, I am not sure if its a good idea or not. I'm wondering if he has internal parasites?

Someone will pop along shortly and help, I'm sure.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:36 AM   #6 
DeviCy

What kind of parasites could he have? I know my water doesn't have any because of its filtering process could they have been airborne? Could he have had them for months and only now be showing symptoms? I really know nothing about Betta's so I'm trying to learn I never knew they could get parasites.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #7 
DeviCy

After much research I've discovered he has swim bladder disease, thank you so much for your help.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #8 
DeviCy

I didn't know about Dropsy when I wrote that last one.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #9 
DeviCy

You can't see well in those pictures, but his scales are puffed out and have clear ridges it looks just like dropsy
Old 03-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #10 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.
From the pics he does not look sick, I would go ahead and do the epsom salt. Does he have swolen eyes and grey belly?

As for how they get parasites, I am not really sure. I know feeding live foods like blood worms comes with a risk of getting internal parasites but other then that, I have no clue.
They can have internal ones OR external ones.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-06-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Tags
bloating, discoloration, eating, sick